2023-2024 Application Cycle

On 9/12/2023 at 4:55 PM, RoadtoPASchool2001 said:

Is anyone concerned about the drop in PANCE pass rate the last few years??? Shocked me a little bit after just seeing that.

I have heard from students that the faculty is not as helpful in preparation, kind of sink or swim in recent years. 

On 10/16/2023 at 4:11 PM, RoadtoPASchool2001 said:

Oh wtf, they must've recently changed that. Before it explicitly said that it is 50-50

MUSC is a state funded school, so even though it said it was 50-50 last year, it is more likely to fluctuate in the direction of more in-state interviews. I spoke to a SOM representative about it. 

Edited by futurepafromsc

On 10/19/2023 at 11:50 AM, Pa2021a said:

Same here. I graduated back in 2019 so it’s been about 4 years of working towards this goal and spending thousands of dollars. I do hope I can get another interview but if not then after this cycle, I plan to apply for ABSN then reapply for PA school. I think it would be good experience and a GPA booster. If I’m unable to make it for PA then I’ll also consider DNP. It’s just been really hard especially thinking about  wanting to have kids in a couple years but feeling like I have to push the plan back because I want to get my career started first.

It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one in this same boat. I've felt so isolated in this, honestly. It's such a difficult position to be in. I don't want to give up and this is all I've ever wanted. It sucks 

Edited by arj97

1 hour ago, arj97 said:

It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one in this same boat. I've felt so isolated in this, honestly. It's such a difficult position to be in. I don't want to give up and this is all I've ever wanted. It sucks 

I know! The past 4 years working alongside healthcare workers and providers, everyone telling me how I have the best work ethic and bedside manner they have seen and how they can’t wait to see me become a PA. The money, time and work I’ve put in trying to make up for my shortcomings during undergrad. I understand that our time will come eventually but it is hard to deal with mentally when you’re getting older. Not to mention this cycle not receiving an interview from MUSC but was one of the first groups to get interviews the last two years. 

Don’t give up! Your time will come and definitely reach out to see how you can improve. I plan to do the ABSN after this cycle if it does not work out. That way I can improve my application and reapply and if it truly does not work out for PA on the 4th try, DNP it is. I’ve just had to cancel way too many trips etc to put money aside for classes, applying etc these past years and although I want it bad,  I can’t wait forever just because I’m a competitive applicant but not competitive enough. 

15 hours ago, Pa2021a said:

I know! The past 4 years working alongside healthcare workers and providers, everyone telling me how I have the best work ethic and bedside manner they have seen and how they can’t wait to see me become a PA. The money, time and work I’ve put in trying to make up for my shortcomings during undergrad. I understand that our time will come eventually but it is hard to deal with mentally when you’re getting older. Not to mention this cycle not receiving an interview from MUSC but was one of the first groups to get interviews the last two years. 

Don’t give up! Your time will come and definitely reach out to see how you can improve. I plan to do the ABSN after this cycle if it does not work out. That way I can improve my application and reapply and if it truly does not work out for PA on the 4th try, DNP it is. I’ve just had to cancel way too many trips etc to put money aside for classes, applying etc these past years and although I want it bad,  I can’t wait forever just because I’m a competitive applicant but not competitive enough. 

I thought they aren't done interviewing yet?

12 minutes ago, RoadtoPASchool2001 said:

I thought they aren't done interviewing yet?

I can only hope they are not finished but typically from previous years, they send out acceptance/rejection/waitlist during thanksgiving time/early December unless that has changed. The last date from the forum for interviews is for this week. Unless someone got invites for next week and further, I can only assume interviews are finished this week. I did not personally reach out to MUSC about when interviews are over etc so I may be wrong.

I do want to say good luck to everyone and I truly hope y’all can get into a program! This process is not easy and the hard work everyone has put in to get here should not get unnoticed! 

15 hours ago, Pa2021a said:

Are we the same person? Lol. Same with MUSC. It’s always “competitive, but not competitive enough.” It’s so frustrating. I’ve been considering MSN, I’ve seen some programs that accept a bachelors, but I haven’t looked too hard yet. It’s hard to know when to call it quits. It’s my third cycle, but the previous two I solely applied to MUSC. Branching out this cycle so here’s hoping 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, arj97 said:

When did you contact them? I might reach out and see if they say anything 

I just did 😞

"Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. At this time, all interview invites have been sent and they are finishing up conducting interviews. The PA admissions committee will send updated information in the coming weeks."

1 hour ago, RoadtoPASchool2001 said:

I just did 😞

"Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. At this time, all interview invites have been sent and they are finishing up conducting interviews. The PA admissions committee will send updated information in the coming weeks."

Sigh... Thanks for the update. This sucks

7 hours ago, paappc said:

for anyone wondering, they are done with interviews. they had ~260 interviews and said everyone who interviewed either gets accepted or put on the waitlist. Almost no one gets denied unless they really messed something up. 

I can second this. They explicitly waitlist everyone, including for their medical school.