What personality types go well with what specialties?

Our faculty have begun talking to us about trying to choose a "focus" for our clinical year. They just want to know what areas we think we might be interested in so that they can tailor our rotations around that to some extent.

I've always considered EM my first choice. I really enjoy the pace and variety that it offers. I love troubleshooting and problem solving with relatively instant gratification. As practicing PAs, what type of personalities does your specialty seem to attract? I know I am asking for sweeping generalizations, but I think it is pretty interesting how different two specialties can be.

Take 30 minutes to fill this out on U of V's site...its pretty interesting and incorporates a Myers-Briggs type questioning to suit the specialty...not the end all be all, but alleviates some curiosity nonetheless :)

https://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/

Wow, I'm supposed to be a plastic surgeon or emergency med. Call me crazy, but this is pretty darn accurate! I won't say where, but primary care was low on the list, hmmmmm

I've been seriously considering oncology and here are my top choices according to the quiz (2 types of oncology and hematology all in the top):

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TH=align: center] Rank[/TH]

[TH=align: left]spacer.gifSpecialty[/TH]

[TH=align: left]Score[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 27%, align: right]1spacer.gif[/TD]

[TD=width: 50%]spacer.gifradiation oncology[/TD]

[TD=width: 23%, align: right]41spacer.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 27%, align: right]2spacer.gif[/TD]

[TD=width: 50%]spacer.gifpediatrics[/TD]

[TD=width: 23%, align: right]40spacer.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 27%, align: right]3spacer.gif[/TD]

[TD=width: 50%]spacer.gifneurology[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 27%, align: right]4spacer.gif[/TD]

[TD=width: 50%]spacer.gifneurosurgery[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 27%, align: right]5spacer.gif[/TD]

[TD=width: 50%]spacer.gifhematology[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 27%, align: right]6spacer.gif[/TD]

[TD=width: 50%]spacer.gifophthalmology[/TD]

[TD=width: 23%, align: right]39spacer.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 27%, align: right]7spacer.gif[/TD]

[TD=width: 50%]spacer.gifmed oncology[/TD]

[TD=width: 23%, align: right]39[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 23%, align: right]spacer.gif

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 50%]spacer.gif

[/TD]

[TD=width: 23%, align: right]spacer.gif

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 50%][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 50%]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 27%, align: right]spacer.gif

[/TD]

[TD=width: 23%, align: right][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]973[/ATTACH]

This is posted in multiple workrooms around my hospital. I pretty much fit the internist pic to a "T", coffee cup included.

Oh this is from Michelle Au's blog! http://theunderweardrawer.blogspot.com/p/scutmonkey-comics.html She is hilarious! I have been following her blog since I read her book, This Won't Hurt A Bit http://theunderweardrawer.blogspot.com/p/book-site.html

I took the personality test, and my #1 was pathology. Hmm...no. But #3 General Internal Med and #4 Infectious Disease have been on my short list of "very interested in" for a while. The test nailed my least-favorites, too: orthopedic surgery, general surgery, family practice, colon & rectal surgery, and pediatrics were last on my list, in that order. I've known for a long time that peds was dead last for me!

Archived