University of Utah 2023-2024

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good luck everyone! Current PA-S1 at The University of Utah. The wait time after application submission is tough, particularly for schools that do not use rolling admissions, like the U. The U holds interviews in mid-late November, and we heard about interviews in October. Feel free to ask me any questions about the program! I frequented this forum last year and found so much great advice and support, and I want to pay it forward and help other applicants. You don't have to tackle this alone!

• Like 5

On 6/23/2023 at 10:11 PM, Luvs2Camp said:

Good luck everyone! Current PA-S1 at The University of Utah. The wait time after application submission is tough, particularly for schools that do not use rolling admissions, like the U. The U holds interviews in mid-late November, and we heard about interviews in October. Feel free to ask me any questions about the program! I frequented this forum last year and found so much great advice and support, and I want to pay it forward and help other applicants. You don't have to tackle this alone!

Thank you so much! How is the housing situation around campus? Are there student housing opportunities available?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 2:26 PM, Boonestyel said:

Thank you so much! How is the housing situation around campus? Are there student housing opportunities available?

One of my classmates resides in the UofU SLC graduate student apartments, a <10 minute walk from our building! Good reviews about these apartments from my classmate, but I do not know how they compare size and cost wise to other apartments in Salt Lake proper. I attend the SLC campus, and everyone commutes. Some of us live 10-20 minutes away from campus, and some of my classmates commute as many as 45 minutes each way. I am not familiar with the housing options for the St George campus.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 1:09 PM, SkyAr said:

How is their evaluation process? Is there any area that they mainly focuse on or it's more wider evaluation?

Tbh, I do not believe the U looks for anything in particular! My cohort is incredibly diverse in our experiences and personalities. (Here’s a link to the most recently accepted cohort’s stats https://medicine.utah.edu/dfpm/documents/demographicspdf) The U is definitely a mission based program, and they’re looking for students that are passionate about the primary care model and caring for underserved populations, but this can be demonstrated in numerous ways on an application. I’d advise applicants to be authentic and reflective.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, limonysal said:

Can I still take the CASPer after august 1st but before the September 1st verification deadline? I just submitted my application today but taking the casper completely flew out of my head..

The last available test date for this school is Aug 10 since scores won’t be delivered until Aug 24. You will see this when you sign up for Casper and choose the University of Utah as a recipient 

Edited by PlumMochi21
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, PlumMochi21 said:

The last available test date for this school is Aug 10 since scores won’t be delivered until Aug 24. You will see this when you sign up for Casper and choose the University of Utah as a recipient 

Thank you so much. I just signed up for it, Im glad there is still time to take it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know how much weight they give the CASPer test? I did horrible on it. I have above average numbers in all other categories and am a Utah resident. My background also matches up well with their stated mission. I would hate to miss an opportunity to possibly have an interview based on the outcome of one test.

• Like 1

@Medic503 I am in the current cohort. UPAP uses a holistic evaluation,... This means they look at personal statement, GPA, LOR and healthcare experience all equally... I don't think anything is weighed particularly heavily.... I suggest not to stress too much about CASPer test......I am an ESL speaker, naturally a slow typer and reader. I scored fairly after practicing for 2 weeks. I do not think I could score more even if I practiced for another month. I just know I am not that charismatic or well-spoken. But I am confident that I am articulate enough to explain medicine in patient-friendly language, and sensitive enough to have good patient interaction and build rapport during visits. I think those good communication skills are what they are looking for. hopefully, your LORs and PS show your personality more than a quantifiable score on CASPer. All the best, hope you hear a favorable response...

On 8/29/2023 at 7:23 PM, BetterEveryday said:

@Medic503 I am in the current cohort. UPAP uses a holistic evaluation,... This means they look at personal statement, GPA, LOR and healthcare experience all equally... I don't think anything is weighed particularly heavily.... I suggest not to stress too much about CASPer test......I am an ESL speaker, naturally a slow typer and reader. I scored fairly after practicing for 2 weeks. I do not think I could score more even if I practiced for another month. I just know I am not that charismatic or well-spoken. But I am confident that I am articulate enough to explain medicine in patient-friendly language, and sensitive enough to have good patient interaction and build rapport during visits. I think those good communication skills are what they are looking for. hopefully, your LORs and PS show your personality more than a quantifiable score on CASPer. All the best, hope you hear a favorable response...

Did anyone in the current cohort get a 1? Cause that’s what I got lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 8:02 PM, HopefulPASomeday said:

Did anyone in the current cohort get a 1? Cause that’s what I got lol.

Would love to know this also because same. 
This test is my arch nemesis lol and I'm desperately hoping it doesn't ruin my shot of getting in here because I am super excited about this program. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2023 at 4:39 PM, aPA1day said:

Would love to know this also because same. 
This test is my arch nemesis lol and I'm desperately hoping it doesn't ruin my shot of getting in here because I am super excited about this program. 

I have a friend that also got a 1 so don’t feel bad you aren’t alone! 

• Like 1