Got my "C" !! What's next...

So finally after a long road of hard work I became a PA-C wohooo ! ;) .. I am in the process of getting a job now ... but so freaking up !!! I want to work in primary care or Internal medicine mainly (if i get anything else will jump on it cuz loan are kicking in :(( ) ... I would love to have some advice on how to prepare myself for my new job .. especially what book/site/links would be a good start to get me prepared for my mission and especially something that would teach me the do's and don'ts ... the rules between PA and physician ... what paper should I get ready ... what should I ask physician before getting the job .. etc ..

Any advice would be truly appreciated ....:;-D:

So finally after a long road of hard work I became a PA-C wohooo ! ;) .. I am in the process of getting a job now ... but so freaking up !!! I want to work in primary care or Internal medicine mainly (if i get anything else will jump on it cuz loan are kicking in :(( ) ... I would love to have some advice on how to prepare myself for my new job .. especially what book/site/links would be a good start to get me prepared for my mission and especially something that would teach me the do's and don'ts ... the rules between PA and physician ... what paper should I get ready ... what should I ask physician before getting the job .. etc ..

Any advice would be truly appreciated ....:;-D:

I'm two years out and want to say congrats to you and the other New PA-Cs out there.

As far as Primary Care, I LOVE it and should have held out for it fresh out of school. Out of school, I was pressured (because of loans) to take a job in Spine medicine with a pain med subspecialty. Although it was very interesting, and paid a very good 6 figure income (more than what I would probably ever make in PC), It wasn't the type of medicine I wanted to practice. I wanted PC/FM since before I even got in to PA school. I left that job and worked in GI/HEP which I did a rotation in during school which also taught me a lot and paid well but still not PC medicine. I actually ended up opening a practice w with a great SP, who was a friend, where I am growing in medicine and in the business of medicine. I get paid a whole lot less though but I am very satisfied with my role and place at my practice. SO my advice would be to stick it out and find that PC job you always wanted just be willing to compromise. If the loan collector comes a knockin, apply for a deferment until you find your job. Oh and if you do go into other fields learn as much as you can. I STILL use all that I learned in my first two jobs at my current practice. Think of your first two to three years as your informal "residency"

COngrats and best wishes fellow PA-C!!!!

Joe

Also, as a new PA here, do we HAVE to pay NCCPA dues to log CME there? Or can you keep your own personal CME records?

you gotta pay NCCPA dues and log CMEs to keep your "C" I wish there was was an alternative but the NCCPA is our certifying body sohow can we be certified without being part of that body???

Joe .. Thank you soo much for your insight .. I am so glad that at the end you were able to find the path you were looking for .. and I'm hoping the same for myself :) ... I have couple interviews next week so wish me luck !

Knock em dead and keep us posted.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I was pressured (because of loans) to take a job in Spine medicine with a pain med subspecialty. Although it was very interesting, and paid a very good 6 figure income (more than what I would probably ever make in PC), It wasn't the type of medicine I wanted to practice. I wanted PC/FM since before I even got in to PA school.

Good for you and your passion for PC/FM. Allow me to dispel a myth. Many PA's are under the impression that PC continues to be the PA 'specialty' that pays the least. Perhaps it is, but let me assure you this: There are MD's out there, with well established practices, and good understanding of the PA profession, who would rather hire a knowledgeable and experienced PA, rather than a second MD/DO to partner with.

Once you can demonstrate that you are well versed with any case, chronic conditions, acute illness, urgent cases, emergency situations, etc. independently and comfortably treating peds, infants, women's issues, OB, geriatrics, etc. (it all comes with experience), the PA is a great asset to such medical practice. And the practice owner (MD) can see this, by the patient's feedback, the office staff, and of course by the daily Bottom Line. (production)

If the practice is managed properly, it IS possible for the PA to earn a six figure salary. Or close to six figures base plus production bonuses. I know several PA's in PC who earn $100-$150K in PC and, guess what? Never have to be on-call or work nights. It's all up to how well you treat the patients, the level of experience you have with PC/IM (especially IM) and, like I said, how established the practice is and how well managed it is.

Also, keep in mind that if you network properly, and your SP allows it, you can "moonlight", covering vacation times at other practices, or emergency leaves that usually pay pretty penny to a well versed, trustworthy PA who is avail. in short notice. :heheh:

I also know that you can earn 8-10K monthly (plus excellent benefit package) at certain correction facilities while in Primary care. Not by personal experience here, but I know people who do.

Good luck to both of you. And remember, your first years are crucial to acquire the knowledge and experience to become an outstanding PCP.

Good luck to both of you. And remember, your first years are crucial to acquire the knowledge and experience to become an outstanding PCP.

Thank you zepo for your insight ... I wanted my first job as a PA to be in primary care because I though PC is so versatile and you get to see everything and is great way to keep your mind fresh especially when you are out of school .. but things didn't work the way I was expected .. instead I landed on an Internal Medicine (inpatient) job. Which i think will be very challenging for me as a start (and correct me if i'm wrong).

Actually the job was to do inpatient in 4 different hospital on 6 days basis, 4 days off at the end of each month, 2 week paid vacation, paid holidays, 1 wk cme, gas allowance, $200 to use for medical insurance and production bonuses at the end of the years and malpractice without tail (which I tried to negotiate but dr said it wont affect me if not having tail) which depending on PA from this website not a good idea .. so i dont know if i should negotiate again... and the money is 85K .. so I though i was pretty decent as a first job and I believe rotating in all those hospitals will help me grow my knowledge that i can use later for a PC job because this is what i really love to do ...

What do you guys think? and any good book i can use for hospital medicine .. because I think Internal medicine book dont really teach u hospital medicine ...

\

I'm a recent grad. Many of my classmates did not want to go into primary care and many wouldn't consider a place, like FQHC, where'd they get loan repayment. They all said the salary is too low. But even without negotiation, I was offered 10 and in some cases 20K more than many of classmates first job salary (our region has fairly low salaries but I'll be making the PA national average (all PAs, not just new grads)!). I start soon, and while loan repayment isn't guaranteed, it'll be icing on the cake if I get it. This is what I went to PA school to do. I was prepared to counteroffer (we all should be!) but they offered more than I planned to counteroffer!

I'm a recent grad. Many of my classmates did not want to go into primary care and many wouldn't consider a place, like FQHC, where'd they get loan repayment. They all said the salary is too low. But even without negotiation, I was offered 10 and in some cases 20K more than many of classmates first job salary (our region has fairly low salaries but I'll be making the PA national average (all PAs, not just new grads)!). I start soon, and while loan repayment isn't guaranteed, it'll be icing on the cake if I get it. This is what I went to PA school to do. I was prepared to counteroffer (we all should be!) but they offered more than I planned to counteroffer!

That's awesome Joanna! FQHCs are great. Make sure to attest for meaningful use. FQHC PAs are allowed to, IIRC...

FQHC = federally qualified health ctr.

meaningful use refers to having an electronic medical record which means federal guidelines for bonus reimbursement

That's right and they offer up to 48k for attestation to PAs and NPs who work in FQHCs. Those of us who don't, well we're SOL

Archived