Medical ethics and DNRs

In reading the article, apart from the absolute ethics violation and essentially murder, the most terrifying part to me is how much paperwork gets scanned into patient's charts without my knowledge.  I know so many providers who just sign paperwork given to them by nurses without reading a thing.  I understand the idea of trust and the constant time crunch, but I always give everything at least a cursory review.  But even still, what other paperwork gets into charts that I have no idea about?

• Upvote 2

• Administrator

For me, it made the MPD directives a lot more sensible: As an EMT, my directives, since 2006, have been to do CPR if anyone on scene who says they are a family member requests it. Basically, we were to let the paramedics sort it all out, and err on the side of doing compressions--knowing that the odds of an unwanted but successful resuscitation were quite remote.  We knew how to check to make sure a DNR was signed... but had no concept that one might have been signed fraudulently.  I mean, people with DNRs seen by EMTs don't typically have huge estates where anyone would want them dead bad enough to do that, right?

18 hours ago, ventana said:

corporate for profit medicine with overworked underpaid staff (while management keeps getting raises). 

I'm curious who would have put this kind of "efficient" process in place?  Would it have been an overworked provider, or was it the hairbrained idea of an admin who was able to say they "streamlined the DNR process and increased completion yadayadayada" to highlight their CV for their next job?