How helpful is biochemistry?

I've read mixed answers on this, and am wondering what others may think. I am currently taking elementary biochem with no lab. I was taking it because it was required for one school I applied to but none of the others. I was recently accepted to a school that does not require it so am considering dropping the course (I have already confirmed with them that I don't need it). However, I have heard that biochem is very helpful in preparing one for PA school, and for this reason I am considering finishing the course. I wasn't a science major so maybe it is even more important for me. I am having to drive over an hour each way for the class twice a week so I would love to not have to take it, but if it really will help me in PA school I may just stick it out. Any advice is appreciated.

It probably depends on your professor. First time I took Organic Chem was at a community college and the (one) professor was an active chemist at a pharm lab. She was a great teacher and I think that class helped me a lot in PA school. The second time I took Organic Chem (some PA programs wouldn't accept first class because it was at comm college) it was a an absolute disaster. This was at a large university where the professor didn't give a damn about teaching, and none of the teaching assistants spoke much english. Out of 200 people who started the class, about 40 of us finished it, and there was one "A" in the entire class (not me).

I didn't actually "take" Biochem, but just "audited" it (I sat through the classes and did all the work but didn't pay for it or get credit). The professor was okay, and I learned quite a bit that, in my opinion, helped me in PA school.

Take it....it only reinforces things you will see be studying in the future

This. It's important for pre-PAs to realize that the better prepared you are when entering PA school, the easier it is. Every hour you don't have to study because you're not learning concepts from scratch is an hour that you can be doing something relaxing/fun. It really adds up.

Guest carolanimal

I'm taking biochemistry right now. Challenging but it reinforces/explains certain pathologies in patients that I see clinically at work. The textbook even goes into detail over how certain medications work (like metformin or sulfa drugs for instance). I'm not in PA school, but I haven't heard of any PA students say that they felt it was a complete waste of their time. I'm kind of like you where I wasn't a science major so I've missed out on some things. I say stick with the class.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a similar issue!

I am halfway through biochemistry this semester at uc berkeley and I might take it Pass/Not Pass insted of for a letter grade because I will get some kind of a C in the class. I am really trying to avoid that because I am trying to get my GPA up.

(its a 3.234 now and my science GPA is even lower) I don't want to get my third C at berkeley.

My question is: Would it look bad to PA schools if I take the class PASS/Not Pass and get a Pass...?

I researched PA school specific pre reqs and the only ones that require it out of the 22 schools I looked into are St. louis university, university of wisconsin, and western michigan university.

Any advice is appreciated!!!

Hi CalSeniorGal,

I'm not familiar with the pass/not pass grade, but withdrawing from classes in general doesn't look so great (having Ws on your transcript). However, some schools don't seem to pay attention to them. I went to an info session at utsw and the lady speaking said that if she thought she was going t get a C in a class, she would drop the class. I actually have quite a few Ws on my transcript but was accepted my first time applying and am still getting interview offers. I would contact the schools you are intersted in and ask them.

I am having a similar issue!

I am halfway through biochemistry this semester at uc berkeley and I might take it Pass/Not Pass insted of for a letter grade because I will get some kind of a C in the class. I am really trying to avoid that because I am trying to get my GPA up.

(its a 3.234 now and my science GPA is even lower) I don't want to get my third C at berkeley.

My question is: Would it look bad to PA schools if I take the class PASS/Not Pass and get a Pass...?

I researched PA school specific pre reqs and the only ones that require it out of the 22 schools I looked into are St. louis university, university of wisconsin, and western michigan university.

Any advice is appreciated!!!

You go to Berkeley. That will say a lot in itself. Still, you would want to contact the programs you wish to apply to ... they'll be the ones to give you definitive answers.

Archived