PA school average GPA viewer

Hello,

I am currently applying for PA school. I am looking to apply to schools this current cycle. I have already applied to a handful of schools in california. But there are so many PA schools across the country. I was wondering if there was a chart or website that shows the average scores of admissions for other PA programs. I would like to apply, but I want to be selective. My GPA is around 3.0. I do not want to apply to schools whose average acceptance is much higher than that. If you could help with that, that be great! Thank you.

You have two options to consider: take more classes to get that GPA higher or work on your experience and extra curriculars to boost the resume (if you haven't done this already :). People do get acceptances with a 3.0 (search around and some schools will provide the GPA range in their class profile section, I have seen some pretty wide ranges), but I can only image their resume and experience was stellar along with a literary masterpiece of an essay to make the school really want to bring them in for an interview. YMMV. Good luck!

Haha, yes you are right.

Well I went to UC Riverside and graduated in Biology. I found myself in a hole GPA wise because I was not prepared for school and because of family issue (my dad was dianogised with cancer). I discuess that briefly in the PS.

I have volunteered at a hopsital in Riverside, CA for 500 hrs during school.

I have worked at UCSF as a paid medical assistant for 1000 hrs during summers.

I have been cochair apart of the American Cancer Society, really running the event for 3 years now, which is about 600 hours all together.

My GPA is weak, 3.0. I am taking classes at a CC, to meet all the prereqs like microbio, spanish, and anatomy. I have been getting As/Bs in those classes.

I applied to California schools Western, Lomalina, Riverside Community and Turo.

I was wondering what other schools would I have a strong chance to get into. That is why I thought the GPA averages would be an important statistic. Help would be apprecaited. Also, I havent take the GRE/MCAT. Would that be a recommendation to take those test to raise my scores. Thanks!

Because say it is accepted as supplement material.

I think it's one of those trick questions, like when they ask if you want to waive the right to read your letters of recommendation. It's an unwritten rule that you should ALWAYS waive the right to read, just like you should just stick to the GRE. Taking the MCAT says "I wanted to go to medical school".

There are a lot of schools with average GPAs around 3.2-3.4. You just need to do the legwork to find them. You will learn a lot about the process while performing this research, so don't worry, you aren't wasting time on anything.

I don't understand why taking the MCAT is interpreted as, "I wanted to go to Med school, but fell short." The MCAT is a standardized test for individuals interested in practicing medicine. Do PA's not practice medicine? :;;D:

I'm planning on taking the MCAT too, and for the same reasons. I figure taking the MCAT (and doing well) shows my dedication and commitment to medicine; not that "I didn't have what it takes to be a doctor, so now I want to be a PA."

Thoughts on this???

Taking and studying for the MCAT(writing your MCAT) is a rigorous, demanding, and fruitful endeavor. Anyone who has the patience and self-discipline to dedicate the long hours studying for this behemoth certainly deserves some credit. Its the value of the experience gained that is important in this event. Showing that you have taken (and done well) on the MCAT, in my opinion, should never hurt you. The MCAT builds upon skills that many folks in the medical field can benefit from: applying newly learned information quickly and accurately (diagnosing a general problem) as well as pushing the horizons on your knowledge base. Maybe some people are very passionate about not taking it so that they don't want to come off as a "wannabe", but I think there are more important things considered when someone has shown they have dedicated themselves to this feat. Again, on an individual basis, it would never hurt you but instead allow you to find out where you are in terms of critical thinking.

I also vote no MCAT. If you have that much free time, take another anatomy class (or two! or three!), take pathyophys, take pharmocology, learn material that will actually help you in PA school, and that will help you be a better practitioner in a PA capacity. For our purposes,the MCAT is a waste of precious time.

As far as "value of experienced gained" - go work with patients! The hundreds of hours needed for a good MCAT score are much better spent elsewhere.

Taking and studying for the MCAT(writing your MCAT) is a rigorous, demanding, and fruitful endeavor. Anyone who has the patience and self-discipline to dedicate the long hours studying for this behemoth certainly deserves some credit. Its the value of the experience gained that is important in this event. Showing that you have taken (and done well) on the MCAT, in my opinion, should never hurt you. The MCAT builds upon skills that many folks in the medical field can benefit from: applying newly learned information quickly and accurately (diagnosing a general problem) as well as pushing the horizons on your knowledge base. Maybe some people are very passionate about not taking it so that they don't want to come off as a "wannabe", but I think there are more important things considered when someone has shown they have dedicated themselves to this feat. Again, on an individual basis, it would never hurt you but instead allow you to find out where you are in terms of critical thinking.

You sound very dedicated and faithful to obtaining the highest education possible. It is awesome that u are willing to dedicate so much energy into the sciences. Have you participated in research projects as well?

What does your direct pt care look like? Do you have any clinical skill experience such as phlebotomy? Cast/splint making? Advanced airway management? Microscopy work looking at wet mounts or urine? Suture experience? How are your pt history skills? Physical therapy? Radiology? Pt transfer technique? Ever spend any time in an OR? What can u tell me about sterile fields/technique? Do you have CPR, ACLS? Ever been in a code? What is your pharmacological background?

You pontificate on the beauty, wonder, and magic of the MCAT but there are SO MANY other things that tell PA programs that u are dedicated AND actually benefit patient care. Being a PA is far more about being a clinician than being a scientist.

Archived