Will weak eyesight keep me out of the PA profession?

Hey all. I recently suffered a setback in obtaining health care experience. I failed the DMV vision test for ambulance drivers, so I can't use my shiny EMT cert on an ambulance. Both of my eyes have some problems, but my left eye is correctable to 20/20. My right eye is very weak, only 20/100 even corrected. That's why I failed the vision test. I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem as a physician assistant? Will I not be able to suture or do other important things? I'm interested in primary care, not surgery thank goodness!

Also, I have monocular diplopia in that right eye and I can't seem to find much information on getting this fixed. It's hard to read the eye chart when double vision jumbles the letters together. The last opthalmologist I saw did some tests but could not find any abnormalities in my eye that would lead to monocular diplopia. I'm going to try to get an appointment with another opthalmologist in a bigger city.

What if I can't get this fixed? Don't tell me I might get all the way through PA school and then fail a vision test for licensure!? If anyone has any insight on this please share. Thanks!

Everyone else gave you good advice regarding PA school, and I would echo their sentiments (and add my sympathy...I have pretty crappy vision too.) However, if you want to work as an EMT, your poor vision should not stop you. You are protected by the ADA and your employer must make "reasonable accomodations" for you. (It can be done. I used to work with a paramedic who was legally blind.) It sounds like you can probably do everything except drive. If you are working on a BLS ambulance (2 EMTs) then you would just have to tech every call (and more pt care experience for you)...completely "reasonable". If, however, your employer only ran ALS trucks and every crew was medic/EMT, then this would be less reasonable because there would be no one who could drive on ALS calls.

Or you could always go to one of the 45ish other states that don't require an ambulance operator license.

Hi, I'm monocular (one eye 20/400 best corrected). Hasn't been a stumbling block but some minor adjustments like having your ophthalmoscope in the wrong hand for that eye, etc are all I've had so far. I also worked as an ophthalmic tech for 6 years. Are you wearing glasses? If so there could be a few things happening (ie..too big of a difference in the two eyes Rx, or not enough of a balance lens, or maybe you'd do well on a trial fresnel prism lens to correct the double vision). Best wishes. Keep us posted

Hasn't been a stumbling block but some minor adjustments like having your ophthalmoscope in the wrong hand for that eye, etc are all I've had so far.

And if you spurge on a panoptic ophthalmoscope it doesn't matter which eye you use and you won't have to be nose-nose with your pt :) Good luck!

Archived