Applying for DEA/NPI as a new grad

Hello, I am a new grad PA from out of state and just starting the job hunt here in California. I already have my California PA license, but haven't gotten my DEA or NPI yet as I know you have to put a work address down for both of these to get them. However, I have had some recruiters asking for both of these. Does anyone have any experience with applying for these without an official job offer -- i.e. should I go ahead and apply now or just wait until I have accepted an offer? Also, do I need a supervision agreement with a physician in order to apply?

If anyone also knows how long they take to get once applied, that would be helpful as well!

Thanks!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, joe213 said:

If anyone also knows how long they take to get once applied, that would be helpful as well!

Both are VERY fast--DEA was in my hand in a week, NPI is even faster. Mind you, this is a decade out of date, but both seemed efficient and low-drag processes to me and I haven't heard of them changing.

On 2/1/2023 at 7:55 PM, joe213 said:

Hello, I am a new grad PA from out of state and just starting the job hunt here in California. I already have my California PA license, but haven't gotten my DEA or NPI yet as I know you have to put a work address down for both of these to get them. However, I have had some recruiters asking for both of these. Does anyone have any experience with applying for these without an official job offer -- i.e. should I go ahead and apply now or just wait until I have accepted an offer? Also, do I need a supervision agreement with a physician in order to apply?

Thanks!

NPI is fast and easy to obtain. My program had us obtain one in our 2nd year (using the university address).