Best Stethoscopes for clinical rotations

• Administrator
4 hours ago, eventuallyPA said:

So I will be starting my rotations in the upcoming months and wanted to hear opinions on what stethoscopes are the best. Looking for one within a decent price range but nothing too crazy. Thanks for any advice or help! I really appreciate any feedback 🙂 

Your program didn't mandate a specific list of hardware for you? My program fees covered a standard equipment kit including a Littmann Cardiology III, which I still keep in my clinic.

22 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

Your program didn't mandate a specific list of hardware for you? My program fees covered a standard equipment kit including a Littmann Cardiology III, which I still keep in my clinic.

I still have my cardiology 2 from PA school. It was $135 at the time. Money I didn't really have. I tend to use the much lighter $60 Littman Classic scopes now( I have 3), and hardly can tell the difference between them. Apparently they cost around $100 now. I just checked. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2023 at 12:56 PM, rev ronin said:

They gave us equipment but some if it is not the best quality. I have to check the brand they gave us but even our teachers suggested upgrading the stethoscope. So I just wanted to get some others opinions on what kind they use as it will be something we'll need after school for work.

Personally, I thought it was a good investment to get a cardiology grade Littmann. I have a "buy once, cry once" philosophy. It was sufficient for all rotations and still in use every day. If you don't do stupid stuff like leaving it in a hot/freezing car it will last your entire career. If you get it in an oddball color (other than black) it is also harder to steal. 

That being said, it can also be a good idea to have a junky stethoscope that you don't care if it gets stolen. There were a couple rotations where I had to scrub and didn't have a locker. My lab coat wound up rolled up on top of a bookcase in a resident's lounge. I would not do that with a $100+ stethoscope. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/16/2023 at 7:38 PM, CAAdmission said:

Personally, I thought it was a good investment to get a cardiology grade Littmann. I have a "buy once, cry once" philosophy. It was sufficient for all

rotations

and still in use every day. If you don't

do

stupid stuff like leaving it in a hot/freezing car it will last your entire career. If you get it in an oddball

color

(other than black) it is also harder to steal. 

That being said, it can also be a good idea to have a junky stethoscope that you don't care if it gets stolen. There were a couple

rotations

where I had to scrub and didn't have a locker. My lab coat wound up rolled up on top of a bookcase in a resident's lounge. I would not

do

that with a $100+ stethoscope. 

Very true, I will definitely do this! Thank you so much for your feedback and help! I really appreciate it! 

Edited by eventuallyPA
spelling error