Failed pance, need advise please

Guest fly2dasky

Hello Christopher,

You have posted good information regarding how to pass PANCE. I am taking it for the first time this coming summer and am very anxious regarding the passing scores that are out there in general. PAKRAT was not the greatest for me.

You mentioned having your school notes on quizlet. Is there any way for you to share with me?

Thank yoU!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long before starting the Q&A's for final pre-test review, get a feel for where you are in the core knowlege. Prepare a lesson plan for your weak areas. Prepare as if you were to "teach" the area of concern; you will thenhave the basic fund of knowledge needed for the test differentials.

• 3 weeks later...

I am an ER PA with 16 years experience in Emergency Medicine, 1 year experience in Dermatology, and 1 year as a Clinical Coordinator in a PA program where I taught Introduction to EKG as well as doing the lecture for the Dermatology Section in a Board Review Course for George Washington University. I studied for my PANRE last month by going through 800 questions from 5 tests that were from a recent Board Review Course and taking meticulous notes and memorizing all the crazy things I thought they may ask me in the PANRE. My experience with PANRE last week was that because of the review I had done with the 800 questions I was able to answer about 10 questions I probably would not have gotten if I had not studied. I felt like there were about 20 questions that I knew and felt pretty confident about. There were maybe 10 questions that I had boiled down to 2 answers. The remaining 200 questions were so bizarre and out of left field that I was wildly guessing on them with no clue what the answer was.

I walked out of that test so angry and frustrated. Who are the crazy people that make up these test questions? Why do we put up with this? Can I start a movement here to get this changed? It is INSANE!!!

By the way this has been my experience with these tests ever since I took the original one and have recertified . Crazy questions, impossible to study for, out of left field, not related to what I know and use in my day to day practice or would ever want to know. Just learned today that I passed but I have no idea how and I still despise this whole demeaning process.

• 2 weeks later...

I would really appreciate a review from you, detailing out the pance exam. I will be taking the exam in about a year from now and already so worried. I am not a very good test taker and dont do well on standardized tests.. all the advice you give will be highly appreciated!! I will go into quizlet and see if I can find your notes. can you give me a clue on where there at?

thanks!

My advice ... Do not waste your money on the 5 day CME courses,instead sign up for UMDNJ PANCE review course which will allow you to study the material anytime and anywhere. Also, it is crucial that you do a MINIMUM of 2000 questions before you even sit to take the exam again. The key to passing the exam is doing questions from various sources with varying difficulty levels. Start by studying the big 5 (one at a time) then move onto doing questions from each ... Begin incorporating the small sections such as endocrinology, dermatology, psychiatry etc. The more questions you'll do, the better off you will be and the more confident you will feel when it comes time to kick this beast to the curb!!!!

Oh and one more thing, don't worry about the time ... Take the test when you are THOROUGHLY prepared ... If it takes a few months or even a year, so be it but DO NOT leave any stone unturned in your preparation. If you would like a list of the books I used feel free to message me and I will be happy to email you the list. Don't worry, you are never alone and you will pass!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure that any question should be considered "too sophisticated" for the PANCE. I agree with gebaldwi. I took multiple PACKRATS and was scoring 75-80% on all of them, and 80% on HippoPA questions...but still left from taking the PANCE yesterday like I was the dumbest person in the world. The PACKRAT questions and HippoPA questions seemed Kindergarten in comparison to the PANCE questions in my opinion.

I haven't done a lick of work on this project since I have been getting through M2...but as I prepare for my own Step 1 (COMLEX in a week and USMLE the following week, YIKES!!) and have done a ton of practice questions I have had an epiphany: the most helpful qbanks are the ones that really challenge you then explain all the answers in detail. UWORLD is invaluable for this even though it makes me feel like an idiot quite frequently. I think a "more sophisticated"/challenging qbank for PANCE/PANRE is in order...but I am at a bit of a disadvantage in that I haven't looked at many of the others already on the market. I don't want to put a lot of work into something that just duplicates what is already out there. Thoughts?

I just found out I failed PANCE. I feel super down right now especially knowing I have to wait 90days to retake it. this is how I study originally:

Use a james van rhee review book, USMLE step 2 to review materials

Did 3 packrats: score =65-70%

Started doing pa easy 1 week before board= score 55-60% on an average

Took Nccpa prac exam with most section in middle

Not sure if I should go back and review everything or just do questions only for next 3 mo. Please offer some advise(espec those that have failed and passed second time around) ...really appreciate it . Thank you all!

Consider taking a study skills course! I struggled academically in second year of PA school- took a study skills course offered through the associated med school. Learned new approaches to mastering the massive amount of material needed for passing exams over such subject areas as "medicine" and "pediatrics".

Agree with others about focusing on fewer study material sources. PA review book from AAPA helpful. On last PANRE test I tended to understudy musculoskeletal disorders and infectious diseases (pretty important in primary care) and over study hematology and endocrinology (since I "like" internal medicine).

• 3 months later...

For all the above, I suggest in investing in Hippo PA. The lectures are really good, testing questions are close to the type you will encounter on the exams. I studied PA Easy, and also found many of the answers incorrect or did not make sense. The 5 day CME courses are good, but take funding for travel. hotels, transportation. At the the end of each day I felt so ill prepared, and did horrible on the exams that you took in your hotel room at the end of the day. Way too much material given in 5 days. I almost feel the program should be 7 days to be fair to the attendess.The PA revew course books are very helpful. Good consise review of each system. I wish everyone the very best . This whole process is painful. I just took my PANRE on August 28th and passed. I graduated in 1989 from PA school, and beleive me the tests have really changed. I miss the Pathway 2 option, which I took every 6 years after passing the inital PANCE.

I'm not sure that any question should be considered "too sophisticated" for the PANCE. I agree with gebaldwi. I took multiple PACKRATS and was scoring 75-80% on all of them, and 80% on HippoPA questions...but still left from taking the PANCE yesterday like I was the dumbest person in the world. The PACKRAT questions and HippoPA questions seemed Kindergarten in comparison to the PANCE questions in my opinion.

Are you serious? Damn, that does not bode good news...

I hear people say Kaplan is good because the questions are much more difficult than the actual PANCE. Anyone who took the PANCE and did Kaplan qbank felt that way?

• 2 weeks later...

hi...ive taken the pance 4 times now and each time i scored a couple of points away from passing... i feel like i know my stuff..i have been studying for almost a year now and taken the test every 3 mths....i have been using the same materials everyone else has.. the nj review. hippo review.. i used davis' book.. van rhees book...used pa easy, pance master, and exam master.. and questions from davis' review book.  i haven' tried kaplan... or maybe i just need someone to study with ? i have been studying alone this whole time and I feel its difficult and would be better to have someone that is also studying for this to discuss and study/review together... does anyone know where I can find a study partner? im from the los angeles area... im so depressed and scared at this moment... 

DO NOT TAKE ANOTHER PANCE until you have sought advice/assistance from your program.

The pattern of failures tells the truth: you don't know enough to pass this test.

Your chances of ever attaining state licensure as a PA, even if you do pass the 5th time, are abysmal. I believe that after 6 failures NCCPA will disqualify you. Please do not waste any more chances without expert advice. Frankly I'm very sad that you are asking for our help now so late in the game and not when you failed the first time.

quote name="PAC910" post="138895" timestamp="1379620173"]hi...ive taken the pance 4 times now and each time i scored a couple of points away from passing... i feel like i know my stuff..i have been studying for almost a year now and taken the test every 3 mths....i have been using the same materials everyone else has.. the nj review. hippo review.. i used davis' book.. van rhees book...used pa easy, pance master, and exam master.. and questions from davis' review book. i haven' tried kaplan... or maybe i just need someone to study with ? i have been studying alone this whole time and I feel its difficult and would be better to have someone that is also studying for this to discuss and study/review together... does anyone know where I can find a study partner? im from the los angeles area... im so depressed and scared at this moment...

I am a PA faculty member, and used to lecture for CME resources (the 5 day course everyone talks about).  I just left in August because I could no longer do 32 conferences a year.

I have a FREE blog site you should check out ---- and if you are interested a book written in PLAIN ENGLISH reviewing all the most important topics.

the blog is free -- if you like it, and understand the blog posts---maybe you want to try the book if I make things clearer for you ----- I have helped more than 30 people since July 1st pass -- and two had failed four times before they went on my blog site and bought the book.

I do not make much money on the book -- that is not my point -- I work clinically to pay the mortgage.

jackiekazik.tumblr.com

--  -that is the free blog site -- really it is free -- there is NO catch --- there are more than 100 posts -- so you have to scroll way down to read them.

Best of luck!!  PS  post any Q's on the blog site, and I will post a blog about your topic!

jackie

Hello,

I happened to read your posting. Your score on the PANCE has nothing to do with your intelligence.

I have been tutoring PA students now for several years as well as Med students and Medical Interns. I am a retired MD, and previous Instructor in Medicine.

I can help you pass this test, and would be happy to talk with you on the phone.

I have a streamlined online tutoring course that I custom tailor for each of my students.

My website is still being developed but you may see it at pancetutor.com.

My email is nowjohn2003@yahoo.com.

Best,

John

visit the free FREE blog site and read the posts -- the earliest ones cover "how to take the test" kinds of things.  Many have passed who had failed before using the resources provided on my blog --- I am a PA faculty member and this is my new focus.

jackiekazik.tumblr.com

I have a website too with radiology, lab and ECG resources as well as a review book:

teachingtothetest.net

many here in the same boat have contacted me privately from this forum and so far we are 22 out of 22 to pass since July 3rd!!

CME resources is the best face to face conference out there!

visit the free FREE blog site and read the posts -- the earliest ones cover "how to take the test" kinds of things. Many have passed who had failed before using the resources provided on my blog --- I am a PA faculty member and this is my new focus.

jackiekazik.tumblr.com

I have a website too with radiology, lab and ECG resources as well as a review book:

teachingtothetest.net

many here in the same boat have contacted me privately from this forum and so far we are 22 out of 22 to pass since July 3rd!!

CME resources is the best face to face conference out there!

I have been to her lectures (when I took the test 5 years ago I did the CME resources), she knows her stuff....

Archived