Am I burned out?

Got talking with a peer today 

lots of thoughts thrown around but one question came I  could not answer. 

10 yr pcp pa 

still loves in office exam time but starting to strongly dislike admin. 
seems the hospital system piles more responsibility onto pa/np with out pay. Ie call.  Committee work.  With the statement  of “the docs do this”. But when asked for pay to do these work responsibilities (they take time) they are told by admin “the docs don’t get paid for them”

but when asking for a raise or even to model comp off a similar model to docs their are being told “you are not a doc, your are salary”

They still love time with patients but are about to quiet quit or outright quit over this selective loading more work by admin with no pay.   They asked if I thought they we burned out?

threw me for a loop.  They say there still love medicine, but describe burnout.  

obviously employer stinky but I struggled with advice for them.   Job change would be really hard for them. 

thoughts?

10 hours ago, ventana said:

starting to strongly dislike admin. 

LOL. I'm at the point where I worry about someone who doesn't. It's a bunch of parasitic non-revenue producers trying to suck every dollar out of patient interactions so they can get Christmas bonuses. I hold them in the same high regard one holds a tick. 

Are there other clinicians that feel the same way? There is strength in numbers.

As to the committee work, there are two approaches I have used. One is, as suggested, slow-walk the work. Be present and polite, and that is about it. The other approach is to become a forceful advocate for PAs in the practice. Consume as much time as possible every meeting trying to make life better. If it is a larger group that uses something like Robert's Rules of Order to run meetings, learn the rules and you can more or less run the meeting.

• Upvote 2