Medical Director

• Administrator
5 hours ago, rebeccalprice said:

Hi I was wondering if anyone has information regarding whether or not a PA can serve as a Medical Director? Thanks! 

It depends on "of what?"  In Washington state, a county EMS medical director must be an MD/DO physician. Pretty sure the same thing applies to county public health directors.  But that's not to say everything, always, that has a listed medical director has to have a physician.  I've seen an NPs as "medical director" of a rural clinic without onsite physician.

But NP's say they don't have to be licensed by the medical board of be supervised by physicians because they aren't practicing medicine: they're practicing nursing.  It's baffling that NP's get to get away with having it both ways.  Either they're practicing medicine or they're not.  How can a medical director be someone who isn't practicing medicine?  Yeah, I know- I'm preaching to the choir.

• Like 1