Are PA's allowed to perform facet/epidural spine injections under fluoroscopy in the state of Georgia?

Hi! I've been in the Ortho world for 7 years now and I have come across only a handful of PA's/NP's who perform facet/epidural spinal injections under fluoroscopy. My company is a newer company and wants to train me to do it but I can't find anywhere on the internet what the legalities are and salary. i.e. certification with the board or just hours practiced with a physician. I also would like to if there is a difference in pay for doing this? Right now I am outpatient clinic, mostly consults and in office injections so my work load would be much different. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. 

• Like 1

• Administrator
4 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

You might need to check the radiology regulations in your state. In some, there would be no problem doing the injection, but they won't let you push the button on an x-ray or fluoro machine. 

In Washington, pain management PAs do some spinal injections, and I've seen an Ortho PA run fluoroscopy by himself, but I have never seen anyone but a physician do fluoroscopy guided spinal injections.

• Like 1

Back in the early/mid-80’s I was the one who managed the fluoroscope while my surgeon did all the facet blocks/injections and ESIs.  We’d typically do six early Wed. afternoons and I’d have each setup stacked on top of one another in order on a mayo stand.  We’d knock them out over one hour.

I listen to my B-i-L complain about how painful his ESIs have been but I honestly don’t recall EVER having a patient c/o pain the way we did it (prone, with lower pelvis over a foam semicircular pad opening the L4/5 space.  Looking back, it was a thing of beauty.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Upvote 2