An important reminder.....

just because you think someone is so unattractive that no one would EVER have sex with them doesn't mean someone else isn't willing to....

recently saw a fairly unattractive woman (morbidly obese, Poor hygiene, etc) who had 3 prior er visits over the last month for "uti sx" seen by a good pa, a good np, and a good doc. 3 neg urines and 1 neg wet mount. no one ever checked her for gc because, well...she's ugly...guess what...ding ding ding!

Thanks for the reminder.. Lately I've been feeling like I go a little overboard with STD testing. I swab most women with lower abdominal cramping/pain + urinary sxs + abnormal or increased discharge on pelvic exam. They almost always come back negative.

keep doing them. even if you only pick up 1 gc/chlam/month it's an important public health measure.

if you really can't see doing the pelvic do a urine gc/chlam assay.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a guy 3 weeks ago present with "abrasions" on the shaft.

He swore that he had just been tooo aggressive in his hedonistic pursuits when trying to "rub one out."

One look and I sent labs and treated him empirically (Doxy 200mg BID x 30days)... tests came back a few days ago confirmed Syphlis. I then referred him to the local health department.

just because you think someone is so unattractive that no one would EVER have sex with them doesn't mean someone else isn't willing to....

recently saw a fairly unattractive woman (morbidly obese, Poor hygiene, etc) who had 3 prior er visits over the last month for "uti sx" seen by a good pa, a good np, and a good doc. 3 neg urines and 1 neg wet mount. no one ever checked her for gc because, well...she's ugly...guess what...ding ding ding!

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this way, but unless they have had a documented negative GC/chlamydia in the past 2 weeks (in my ED system), I'm swabbing them. I'm already getting a wet prep, why not get the GC/chlamydia? And honestly, if they are having persistent symptoms despite a recent negative swab, I still may swab. I didn't do the swab, so what if the other provider didn't swab appropriately?

Oh, and to add to this, one of my EDs is in a predominately geriatric area. NEVER count them out for STI's either. (This area has one of the highest rates of STIs as the geriatric population doesn't tend to think about protection as much as the younger population and there is a high use of prostitutes in some of these older men...)

Archived