Single Coverage ED Stats

8 minutes ago, BirdDogPA said:

Thank you guys for the stats. 

Hopefully more PAs will practice in these settings. 

Folks drawn to these setting tend to be either former paramedics or residency grads or both. Typical grads today are no longer paramedics, but the number of residency grads is increasing, so it will be interesting to see how many EM PAs practice solo a decade from now. Last time SEMPA did a survey, I believe the number nationwide was around 250 PAs. (2.5% of all EMPAs when there were 10,000 of us). 

17 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

Folks drawn to these setting tend to be either former paramedics or residency grads or both. Typical grads today are no longer paramedics, but the number of residency grads is increasing, so it will be interesting to see how many EM PAs practice solo a decade from now. Last time SEMPA did a survey, I believe the number nationwide was around 250 PAs. (2.5% of all EMPAs when there were 10,000 of us). 

Residencies do seem to be gaining traction. Hopefully the majority of these will be high quality. There is one in my state now but quality seems very lacking. 

My dream Is to see some of your larger facilities staffed solo at night by a PA. When I worked at a level 3 trauma center that only had single physician coverage from 2am-7am I tried to make the case during Covid peak that a qualified PA could provide coverage.  Of course that was promptly shot down. 

12 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

State laws may come into play.  Ohio has a requirement that every ED must have a physician.

The state I’m in ( Southeast) the law does not go into that much detail to specify for an ED. Falls under the general mileage rule which is pretty generous (50+ miles). 

5 minutes ago, BirdDogPA said:

The state I’m in ( Southeast) the law does not go into that much detail to specify for an ED. Falls under the general mileage rule which is pretty generous (50+ miles). 

I know SW GA has multiple EDs with solo coverage done by PAs. 

• Upvote 1