What is the average attrition rate for PA schools?

I believe programs have to list this on their website (look under program goals/results). You definitely want a program with a low attrition rate. This indicates they choose their cohort members well and are supportive of their students throughout the program. Keep in mind too that people may need to leave school for reasons other than academic- so I wouldn’t stress about 1 or 2 students leaving a cohort. I’m not sure if programs would disclose  the reasons why someone left, but you could always ask if it was personal or academic (were they dismissed or on the verge of failing out). PA school is stressful. It is vital to have a program that supports its students from start to finish. I realize now after graduating from my program and hearing horror stories from other programs, just how very lucky I was to attend the program I did! 

Edited by 1madmamma
Error

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, PAdreamn said:

Would this be a good question to ask during an interview if the school has an increase in students leaving in the past 3-4 years?

I would ask this question before applying to a program as this is something you should have considered before hitting the submit button. I think asking this question at an interview could be viewed as confrontational or that you didn’t do your “homework on the program” before applying especially if you are concerned about high attrition rates in multiple consecutive cohorts (which would be a bit of a red flag). Just my opinion though, take it for what it’s worth. If you have an interview you might consider anonymously calling the program and asking about the nature of their student attrition. Another good resource not to overlook is current students- they can give you honest feedback on whether a program is truly supportive of its students.

• Like 1