DEA Renewal fee

What is truly outrageous is that the DEA knows that every single PA and doctor in the country is required to get a DEA number even if you never plan to write for narcotics. Try getting credentials/privileges at a hospital without a DEA number, most of them wont even look at your application!

It is an absolute racket. They could charge $5000 if they wanted to and there's nothing you can do but bend over and take it in the ***.

Is it difficult to get licensed in other states once you're already licensed in one? Just about sending the check?

Nope, not easier. But overall the process is pretty benign.. Fill out the forms and send the cash. Renewals are automatic.. Can print the license off the computer. New applications generally take a couple weeks to a month.

I pay for one, my primary job pays for he other.

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

WOW that is expensive. I need to renew but I live in Dublin Ireland now, looking to do locums a few times a year keep the skills up, but I can not access the DEA DOJ website, its been weeks, I also tried to email the help desk and this was returned. Do any of you know how I can renew from here?

Thanks for any help

J

Thanks, that's what I thought. Bummer...

Just wait.... it gets better!

With all the narcotic abuse going on out there, there's talk that the DEA may raise fees SUBSTANTIALLY in order to gently nudge less providers to script for narcotics. The other thing they will do is start charging higher fees and using that money for more enforcement/monitoring actions.

We're all going to have fun paying $3000 for the same DEA license in 3 years so that our hard earned money can be used by the DEA to track down pill pushers and junkies.

It turns out you cant get on the site outside of the usa. I called and they will not mail anything outside of America. But they will mail it to a usa address, so they are sending it to my mom. The cost is 731usd, and I asked about a 2nd state being another 731 and they said no, its one fee for all 50 states and you just have to change your provider info and address of where you work. I as luck has it have not yet expired, so I am going to renew. I hope to do locum work in the States and remain living in ireland.

What is truly outrageous is that the DEA knows that every single PA and doctor in the country is required to get a DEA number even if you never plan to write for narcotics. Try getting credentials/privileges at a hospital without a DEA number, most of them wont even look at your application!

It is an absolute racket. They could charge $5000 if they wanted to and there's nothing you can do but bend over and take it in the ***.

Gordon, some of us who have been in practice for more years than we care to remember have never been in a situation where a DEA license has been required. The position that I just left after eight years didn't want mid-levels writing for controlled drugs. It was during that time window that Texas allowed for PA's to write for controlled substances. Since I am now playing the role of dutiful son to an elderly parent while awaiting a teaching position for later in the year, I am not in a position to obtain one since I am unable to list an employer address, which as you point out restricts employment options, and would have since the time of my employment with my former provider. There is a part-time position that I've looked at that would keep me busy a couple of days a week in the interim, however I don't believe that they will need one from me either. It would be interesting as I think about it to see if they would be open to allowing me to obtain one under their oversight even if not used just so that I can "be in the system".

Archived