For those who recently took the PANCE...

I just took the PANCE yesterday. I felt prepared -- prior to taking the exam, that is! I was getting 75-90% on most question banks. Back in March, I did decent on PACKRAT (168...not great, but decent). But I left feeling depleted yesterday. A lot of the questions came out of left-field. Has anyone else had this experience? Maybe I just wasn't as prepared as I thought.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Yeah, feeling the same way about my test a week ago.

Understand that not every question on the PANCE will be scored. I've worked on other professional certification exams before, and so this is based on my perspective on the board question lifecycle, and I've never seen this articulated for PANCE, but I'm working on the assumption that things are the same.

Questions must be first tested for validity--that is, that people who successfully pass the test get the questions right, and people who do NOT pass get them wrong. There's no such thing as a perfect question, but if 100% of the applicants got a test question right, it fails to discriminate because it's too easy. Likewise, if only 25% (or 20% for five-answer questions) of the applicants, both passing and failing, get the question right, it's obviously too hard because just about everyone is guessing. But where do you even "pilot" these questions, to see if test takers will get them right or not? The review question writing board can look at a question, but as they tend to be senior people with extensive testing experience, they're far from an ideal sample audience.

So, brand-new questions are piloted on an existing test, and will not be scored. That is, applicants encounter them, agonize over them, do their best, and then all that happens is that the question is statistically compared to the REAL test questions, to see whether the test question is any good or not. How many of these questions will be on a particular PANCE? It will really depend on how often questions turn over, but I'm guessing somewhere between 10-20% of the PANCE questions each applicant encounters will be prospective questions: Not every prospective question needs to be tested against all candidates in a year, but the 100% question turnover time is probably 3-5 years given the changing nature of medicine and the importance of maintaining the integrity of the test.

And yes, I'm spinning my wheels until Thursday. Waiting. And Waiting. And Waiting...

Good to know I'm not the only one! Thanks rev ronin for your explanation; it makes a lot of sense. I was just not prepared for such weird questions. I mean, obviously, not all of them were weird. But some of them were just things I had never seen before. And I seriously did over 3000 questions in preparation (from several different sources). I just feel like I was so prepared and then when you get those questions, it made me feel like asking, "Why did I study again?" I was looking to answer important stuff!

Oh well. I hope I get my scores Thursday also. I was told by someone in my program that I should get my scores Thursday if I took it Monday (but those who take it Tuesday apparently have to wait 10 days or so). I guess I'll see if I get lucky and get them this week.

Yea I took it yesterday too, and I feel like I epically failed it. I remember during breaks thinking to myself, "man I might not pass this thing what a crazy test", then after I was done and walking out I was saying, "man, I don't think I passed, this is bad!" My classmates all said they felt the same way, and ended up passing, but man I don't know, everyone is different. It's killing me not knowing. I used Exam Master and the AAPA review book and "thought" I was prepared too, ready to answer all I studied, but it seems like they didn't ask anything I actually studied. One more thing, my buddy from class took the PANCE last Monday and found out that Thursday, had a couple of other classmates take it on a Tuesday, and have to wait until the following Thursday. Goodluck! Hope we all passed.

I am getting more dysfunctional the closer tomorrow at 0700 gets...

I seriously need some benzos right now. I am trying to focus on my kids and having fun, but I can't even do that. I've let me daughter watch 3 episodes of Curious George because I'm too nervous to help her with her reading right now. I seriously cannot believe how nervous I am. And that's assuming I'll find out tomorrow. If I don't, I am going to lose it! :)

Wait till you guys have to recert with the new and improved PANRE (just a hint of sarcasm). More pressure due to fact that most jobs will can you if you fail. No job = no money = kids/wife start losing weight. At least you guys are on the 10 yr plan.

I thought we were still on the 6 year plan?

I took the PANCE yesterday as well. I am hoping that we will get the results tomorrow. My classmates got their results last Thursday. So, if they are on a two week cycle it looks like it may be next Thursday (Sept.6) before we find out. I felt pretty beat up yesterday after leaving the testing center. I was surprised at some of the questions I got as well. I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one who felt like I failed. My classmates who took their exams last week said that they felt the same way as well. I guess it's just part of it. I wish everyone waiting on their scores the best! I will post back as soon as I find out from NCCPA.

I'm starting to feel better knowing I'm not the only one who felt defeated! I really thought I was prepared. I had several friends tell me completely different things about the PANCE. One said it was the easiest exam she took in PA school (ha ha) and the other said it was "awful." I think she's more correct!

So this has been my observation as related to my class, it seems any test taken from Tuesday until the following Monday found out on that Thursday. So if you took it Monday this week then you should find out in the morning, if you took it Tuesday, Wednesday, Thur, Friday or Saturday then you will find out the following Thursday. That has been the pattern for our class in California.

So this has been my observation as related to my class, it seems any test taken from Tuesday until the following Monday found out on that Thursday. So if you took it Monday this week then you should find out in the morning, if you took it Tuesday, Wednesday, Thur, Friday or Saturday then you will find out the following Thursday. That has been the pattern for our class in California.

That is what I have been told also. I took mine Monday for that very reason. I'll let you know if I find out tomorrow! Otherwise, it will be another week. :(

Archived