For those who recently took the PANCE...

Someone asked why we felt so bad after we walked out. I actually thought about that for awhile. I think it's because you study and study and study and then the exam is only 300 questions. You have to know enough to pass, but you can't possibly know everything they will ask. I thought about how I studied over 3000 questions in preparation and I was doing well on those before I took the exam. I think what caught me off guard on the exam was that I didn't get asked a lot of questions I actually studied...but a lot of my answers came from when I had read explanations to questions for the practice exams. So, I was a little unsure as I had never seen a question on it, but I knew I had somewhat studied it...if that makes sense. I was prepared for stuff I saw all the time and material that I deem extremely important to know. Either I didn't have a lot of those questions or I flew through them really quickly. I believe that if you have studied and did well in PA school, you will pass. It was just a weird exam. Completely strange.

I also think you have a tendency to focus on the ones you know you got wrong. I kept going over like 10 questions in my head. I looked them up and realized I got most of them wrong. I was like, "OMG, that was terrible!" But it was seriously 10 questions (out of 300) I could remember looking up.

Congrats to everyone who has passed! And to the others waiting and those who haven't yet taken the exam: obviously, most of us did not think we did well, but it turned out okay. :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just wondering....why is everyone leaving the exam thinking they failed? I am sure none of you went in there and winged it, so it freaks me out that so many of you felt that way. I am taking mine on Sept 10th. I've been using mainly the AAPA book, PAEasy, the review course my school gave, and a little of Exam Master. I THINK I am feeling more confident, especially with a lot of the more common things that are popping up in all the resources. If all the resources kind of hit the same main topics, can anyone give insight as to why you leave kind of feeling 'blind-sided'? I am aware of the 'rules' of talking about the exam, so I'm not asking for specifics-just overall insight because I, too, feel I am joining the same pool of semi-confident test-goers and would like to avoid feeling like I should apply to Walmart on the way home after...

I don't know if you can prevent feeling like that, sorry. :( But the good news is, we all passed. :) As I mentioned, I think we have a tendency to focus on what we don't know instead of what we do -- which is a lot more than what we give ourselves credit for. I used the same materials as you and I passed. My one piece of advice is to make sure you understand every practice question you answer and why you got it right or wrong. In other words, read the explanation for every question and don't just bypass it because you got it right. Those explanations probably helped me more than I even realize. In reality, the practice question explanations are the ddx, as usually each answer has a small component of the of the actual diagnosis. But one answer will be related to all components of the pt's presentation. For example, you have a lady with a fever, cough, and rusty sputum. The answer choices could be influenza, CAP, common cold, and acute bronchitis. All the choices have components of the presentation, but only one is spot-on. Know how they differ and you'll be able to pick out the right answer most of the time. (Not that I'm a good test question writer, obviously...that was just off the top of my head.) I hope this makes sense.

Good luck! It appears you're taking the exam on Monday, so you should know Thursday hopefully!

OMG! This is my same experience! I did very well on pulmonary/GI/CV in PAEasy/Packrats and did not do so well on this exam in those! I got 100% in ID and endocrinology, which is really strange because ID has always been something awful like 40% for me. I don't know about you, but based on my practice exams/Packrats, etc, I was expecting a higher score. But the exam I took was really strange. Oh well, whatever! I am so excited I passed! I was really worried.

This was my experience too! Did best on some of my worst subjects and poorly on some of my best. Also my score was a lot lower than expected based on paeasy and nccpa practice test. My friends had the same experience too. I'm a little suspicious given that huge mix up they had last year...

I took my PANCE on September 4th as well. My classmate spoke to someone at the NCCPA that said they release scores W-F with the majority being released on Thursday. My school also told us that if we took it on a tuesday, we would find out the following thursday. That didnt happen. Thought I would find out this past thursday too...Again, that didn't happen. Hopefully today, but im not going to press my luck.

Someone asked why we felt so bad after we walked out. I actually thought about that for awhile. I think it's because you study and study and study and then the exam is only 300 questions. You have to know enough to pass, but you can't possibly know everything they will ask. I thought about how I studied over 3000 questions in preparation and I was doing well on those before I took the exam. I think what caught me off guard on the exam was that I didn't get asked a lot of questions I actually studied...but a lot of my answers came from when I had read explanations to questions for the practice exams. So, I was a little unsure as I had never seen a question on it, but I knew I had somewhat studied it...if that makes sense. I was prepared for stuff I saw all the time and material that I deem extremely important to know. Either I didn't have a lot of those questions or I flew through them really quickly. I believe that if you have studied and did well in PA school, you will pass. It was just a weird exam. Completely strange.

I also think you have a tendency to focus on the ones you know you got wrong. I kept going over like 10 questions in my head. I looked them up and realized I got most of them wrong. I was like, "OMG, that was terrible!" But it was seriously 10 questions (out of 300) I could remember looking up.

thank you for this post... i just took the pance and i've been a wreck since... going over the 10 answers i looked up and were wrong and then one i forgot to go back and change. and i was completely surprised by, this is so not like all the practice exams/questions banks/study books. soo different. i feel horrid, but hopefully turns out ok. in the wait period.

Archived