Pacific University PA Program: Application Cycle 2022-2023

Guest PTPAS
8 hours ago, abdominalaorticaneurysm said:

I got accepted last cycle, but declined. The supplemental application from what I remember is separate from CASPA on their own website, so you can work on it while your CASPA is being verified, yes. Just a head’s up Pacific is a travel program which is not advertised much. 

Hey,

what do you mean by travel program?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 8:37 AM, abdominalaorticaneurysm said:

As in do not really expect to set up residency in Oregon your clinical year. The program will send you all across the country every maybe 4-5 weeks to a new state to do your rotation so it’s not financially smart to set base in Oregon because you will never be there. You will be required to find your own accommodations for every rotation and then they have “call back weeks” where you have to fly back to Oregon for a week every so often. So every rotation you will be flying somewhere new maybe to the opposite side of the country. Which on paper actually kinda sounds fun but very draining and expensive. 

Hey there, current didactic student at Pacific who is about to embark on the clinical year and I just wanted to shed some light on this information.

It does say briefly on their site that they are a travel program. More information is given should you get an interview, or even if you reach out. ( https://www.pacificu.edu/physician-assistant-studies/frequently-asked-questions )

Scroll down to the "Where are your clinical rotations?" section.

Rotations are 6 weeks in duration. The clinical team works to arrange sites that make sense to travel between them from rotation to rotation -- meaning: they won't put you in California for your 1st rotation, New York for your 2nd, Nevada for your 3rd, Florida for your 4th etc. They understand that relocation is necessary between rotations and don't want you bouncing between corners of the country. A more realistic pattern would be something like: 1st rotation in the Portland area, 2nd in Salem OR, 3rd in East OR etc.

For the call back weeks, I believe there are 4 in total over the span of the clinical year. These also aren't too demanding if you are rotating through Oregon anyways.

As with most programs, you are able to express your interests in the clinical experiences you desire and provide contact information for mentors you would like as a preceptor, but the final say is up to the clinical team. Pacific is definitely a travel program, but the travel is not as insane as people fear it might be. A lot of the rotations sites are in Oregon so it isn't unheard of for students to rotate almost entirely in/around Oregon. With that being said, there are really cool travel opportunities available during the clinical year that you might not get at another program! I have classmates who are signed up for international rotations, which is pretty cool.

They also account for increased cost of travel during the clinical year which is factored into the amount of loan money you are able to withdraw for attendance at the school.

If anyone has any questions feel free to message me. Good luck with this new cycle!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

For those who have applied and submitted a supplemental has anyone had any problems paying the fee? The page was loading for 20 minutes, so I just left the page. Are you suppose to receive a receipt right after submitting your payment? 

My home page says my application has already been submitted and it doesn't indicate that I need to pay anywhere else. I hope someone can share their experience! Lol  

Edited by LKIM16

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2022 at 4:01 PM, abdominalaorticaneurysm said:

I got accepted last cycle, but declined. The supplemental application from what I remember is separate from CASPA on their own website, so you can work on it while your CASPA is being verified, yes. Just a head’s up Pacific is a travel program which is not advertised much. 

I have a quick question regards their supplement application. For the question about PCE, did you write the same stuff you reported in CASPA? 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 3:10 PM, JVanbindsbergen said:

Hey there, current didactic student at Pacific who is about to embark on the clinical year and I just wanted to shed some light on this information.

It does say briefly on their site that they are a travel program. More information is given should you get an interview, or even if you reach out. ( https://www.pacificu.edu/physician-assistant-studies/frequently-asked-questions )

Scroll down to the "Where are your clinical rotations?" section.

Rotations are 6 weeks in duration. The clinical team works to arrange sites that make sense to travel between them from rotation to rotation -- meaning: they won't put you in California for your 1st rotation, New York for your 2nd, Nevada for your 3rd, Florida for your 4th etc. They understand that relocation is necessary between rotations and don't want you bouncing between corners of the country. A more realistic pattern would be something like: 1st rotation in the Portland area, 2nd in Salem OR, 3rd in East OR etc.

For the call back weeks, I believe there are 4 in total over the span of the clinical year. These also aren't too demanding if you are rotating through Oregon anyways.

As with most programs, you are able to express your interests in the clinical experiences you desire and provide contact information for mentors you would like as a preceptor, but the final say is up to the clinical team. Pacific is definitely a travel program, but the travel is not as insane as people fear it might be. A lot of the rotations sites are in Oregon so it isn't unheard of for students to rotate almost entirely in/around Oregon. With that being said, there are really cool travel opportunities available during the clinical year that you might not get at another program! I have classmates who are signed up for international rotations, which is pretty cool.

They also account for increased cost of travel during the clinical year which is factored into the amount of loan money you are able to withdraw for attendance at the school.

If anyone has any questions feel free to message me. Good luck with this new cycle!

Hi, I just have a quick question. For the supplement question regards your PCE, did you put the same description as CASPA? 

On 9/3/2022 at 9:43 AM, 2022PAtobe said:

Hi, I just have a quick question. For the supplement question regards your PCE, did you put the same description as CASPA? 

I can't say with 100% confidence what I wrote for the supplementals because it has been over two years since I answered them, but as long as you answer the prompt you will be fine.

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone! I just received my invite today!! This is one of my top choices so im super excited.

I submitted my app end of June/beg of July. They’re doing Saturday interviews on 10/8; 10/22; 11/5; 11/19 with morning and afternoon sessions. Hope this info helps! And good luck to everyone this cycle!! So excited!!!!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jettan said:

Hi everyone! I just received my invite today!! This is one of my top choices so im super excited.

I submitted my app end of June/beg of July. They’re doing Saturday interviews on 10/8; 10/22; 11/5; 11/19 with morning and afternoon sessions. Hope this info helps! And good luck to everyone this cycle!! So excited!!!!

So excited for you!! Thank you for sharing this information with us ❤️ best of luck to you

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jettan said:

Congrats!! Do you know if the interviews are virtual or in person? 

7 hours ago, Jettan said:

Best of luck!!! Thanks for sharing this with us 💖 Does anyone know what kind of interview they have?

Edited by Persephone21