Pacific University PA Program: Application Cycle 2022-2023

On 11/25/2022 at 11:20 PM, Loading said:

For anyone that was accepted, are you thinking of rejecting the offer? If so why?

I was accepted to other schools, so I had some choices but there were a few reasons I wasn't interested in this school.

The cost is significantly higher than most schools and I can't see ways this value is returned to the students. There was also significant travel required for rotations and as part of some of the didactic year. I also was a little turned off by the fact that the curriculum was solely just powerpoint ("death by powerpoint" was the term they used to describe the didactic year), which seemed to be not very conducive to an engaging learning environment. Lastly, it could have just been me who felt this way, but some of the faculty didn't seem very excited about their own program during the interview day.

Some of these points are subjective and again, maybe only perceived by me, but in my school comparisons the points became more compelling in my choice.

Edited by JonesNtoBPA
  • Upvote 1

On 11/26/2022 at 12:20 AM, Loading said:

For anyone that was accepted, are you thinking of rejecting the offer? If so why?

I have another option that is a top school in a location that would be a bit less of a drastic life change (more familiar landscape/outdoor activities with friends in the area vs Pacific Northwest with friends hours away). I honestly had a really hard time deciding. I thought Pacific did a fantastic job of giving students information and support leading up to interview day, and I was really attracted to the module based learning. I'd heard such good things about program culture and DEI education, which were both high on my list of priorities for a program. The travel program was appealing, but after talking to some PAs and med students, the logistics of housing and moving frequently would just be a lot on top of already stressful rotations, and the program I chose is connected to a regional medical center which is cool. I also just connected better with the faculty at the other program - they asked great and insightful interview questions and it felt like an interesting conversation. I have no doubt the faculty at Pacific are amazing, I just didn't get a chance to meet many of them, and didn't feel as energized by my interview as I did at the other program.

I don't think you could go wrong with this program though. I'm kind of sad I don't get to experience it, but excited about my choice!

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...