Possible PA student questions.

Hello all,

I know these threads get started a lot in this section of the forum, but I'm genuinely concerned about my chances of becoming a PA.

My story is a bit weird as I have a bachelors of political science from a state university. When I originally started undergrad my dream was to go to pharmacy school. Along the way I decided to. Pursue other interests. Due to a past lack of commitment and focus, I was unable to enter into a healthcare field. My lifelong desire has been to learn skills that I can use to help other people while at the same time making a living doing it.

It has been two years since I graduated and the desire to be a part of the process of patient care hasn't gone away. I'm 25 now and feel like now is a better time than ever to make the commitment to accomplish my goals, and I am a more focused and motivated person than I've ever been in my life. Much more than during my undergrad years.

With the poli sci bachelors already, if I take the required biology and chemistry, etc. classes needed for admissions into a PA program, would I stand a chance in admissions?

More specifically, my plan would be to take the required classes and to perform very well in each of them and during that time looking for some volunteer or employment options that give me the experience with patient care that is desirable for PA programs.

Now the only thing I'm worried about is that my undergrad gpa was subpar compared to most PA students. It was a 2.4 and I'm not looking for ridicule or to pass on the responsibility. I've already owned it and must live with it.

Do you think that having a couple of years pass since I finished the degree and excelling in the new classes in bio and chem will show an adcom that I've matured and become a much more capable student? Or is this undergrad gpa going to prove to be the end of any dreams I have?

I'm a realist, so I can accept the facts and understand my undergrad gpa presents an uphill process for me, and thankfully I'm up to the challenge if I do in fact stand a chance to get into some program. But I don't need others who are also still applying to say only 4.0s with a masters in bio stand a chance. Some people with good insight into my chances are appreciated. During my undergrad years I would give up to a challenge, but not much is going to hold me down if there's a chance for me to still pursue my dream.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Administrator

* You need to get your cumulative undergraduate GPA to 3.0 to be considered by most programs. Your "undergrad GPA" does not stop at your Bachelor's. It's a cumulative average of all your undergrad classes ever, so it will dynamically change as you add each new class.

* Those few that will consider sub-3.0 candidates are looking for people with THOUSANDS (often, 10k+) of direct, certified, patient care hours: Paramedic, RN, RT, etc.

* Once you get above that threshold, the more time that's passed since your sub-par performance, the better.

* HCE accumulates, but GPA AVERAGES. You need to get 4.0's on all your classes from here on out to have a shot at making the 3.0 threshold.

Pay is a factor. I know we're supposed to say we do it for the pure satisfaction of helping people, but I think different people have a different personal balance between their job satisfaction and pay. I evaluate a job in the same manner and physician assistant offers me the most of both the satisfaction of helping others and great pay.

I am not against doing an RN program if it's more attainable for me at this point, and even more if you think it could be another stepping stone to becoming a physician assistant.

Would completing an RN program and working for a couple years, getting experience and takingma class or two at a time towards a PA program be a good idea? Would doing well in RN school combined with the real world experience help make me more selectable to an adcom at a PA program even with the low gpa? Who knows I may even like the RN job and kept it and advance in that field.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind.

Also, for reference, my first choice due to location was the program offered through AACC in Maryland if that helps anyone who might know any particulars about that program.

most cc programs require high level prior experience in thousands of hrs.

AACC suggests a MINIMUM of 1400 hrs of high level experience:

http://www.aacc.edu/physassist/Preparation.cfm

Another suggestion for you since you live in MD (I'm assuming) is joining a fire/EMS station. I volunteered at a station in Montgomery county and they will train you as much as you can stand (up to master FF/ Paramedic) for free. You aren't getting paid, but you can work a full time job and/or do school as you go. Great way to get hours and see if you can handle the "blood and guts" without investing tons of money. BTW, I loved working in EMS, and I made so many great friends and connections, not to mention truly knowing that I was going into the right field. It's not for everyone, but it worked for me.

I agree. I have a family friend that does sonography and seems to like her job, and has talked about it many times. We have very similar personalities and interests, so I'm not sure how much more I can gather other than that and Internet searches.

After reading about nursing, I'm really feeling like I'd rather not get into the field. But medical technology like sonography and radiation therapy are my main interests now since I've accepted PA programs are out of the question at this point.

I also agree with not investing money and time into more schooling yet. It's stressful because I'm trying my best to get as many opinions on each job.

Archived