Am I screwed for admission?

I am applying to four PA programs.

My GRE scores are 86th percentile Verbal, 35th percentile quantitative, and 4.0 analytical. What can I say, I'm a nervous test taker. My CASPA calculated GPA is 3.07 overall, though in my nursing degree my GPA was 3.2 (these classes were taken more recently than my first undergrad degree). I have three excellent references, a killer personal statement, and over 10,000 hours of experience.

Do you think I still have a chance of admission, even though my GRE quantitative score and GPA are not spectacular?

my sGPA? I feel foolish, I don't even know what that is!

My HCE is pretty solid...about 5,000 hours as a CNA in a nursing home and an intensive care unit, and about 5,000 as a registered nurse in a nursing home and an ambulatory care clinic.

None of my schools have a minimum for the GRE, but they suggest 50th percentile for both verbal and quantitative. They don't specify which requirements they place more emphasis on

sGPA is science GPA...read the CASPA FAQ to find out exactly how it is calculated.

I don't really care what the program website says. Look at the admitted students in the programs you are applying to...are they all 22 year olds with 4.0 GPAs and 20 hours of token HCE? If so, you might be applying to the wrong programs (for several reasons). On the other hand, if the current classes are made up of people who are older and have actually been out working for several (or more) years in REAL health care jobs (EMS, nursing, RT, radiology, etc), you may find more leniency for a low GPA. That is not to say these programs are not super competitive to get into and you won't be up against the PA school tripple threat (high GPA, high GRE, high HCE), but if you meet the minimum requirements you stand a better chance of impressing the admissions committee with your experience.

Consider retaking the GRE to get 50th percentile and take additional upper level science to show you can handle rigorous coursework. A 3.1 cGPA is doable when you have a 4.0 in the last 30 hours but not so much when getting a 3.2 in your most recent coursework. You'll need to focus on schools that weigh HCE heavily or those that focus on the last 30/60 hours(after taking additional coursework and making all As). Also, attention to detail is key; this belongs in the pre-PA forum. ;)

Archived