The vision, mission, values and strategic commitments to the profession

For those of you who didn't receive this today via e-mail and would like to take part in shaping the future strategic direction of the AAPA.

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=width: 100%]August 15, 2012

"Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower." - Steve Jobs

I'm sure you are aware that in recent months, AAPA has been taking a critical look at today's rapidly changing healthcare landscape to clearly identify the role of PAs and of AAPA. There is no denying that we are no longer on the cusp of a change, the change is swirling around us, and fast. To that end, we are developing a focused and dynamic strategic plan that will position the PA profession as an invaluable asset now and in the future of healthcare. By doing so, we are also building a stronger Academy that can — and will — meet the needs of its members and the profession. The creation of this roadmap is happening quickly, but systematically and thoughtfully. Our process is rooted in a comprehensive and multi-dimensional understanding of the physician assistant profession, the healthcare landscape and the professional association world. AAPA's Board and staff leaders are coordinating plan development with guidance from the entire Board and staff, as well as input from both internal and external stakeholders. Once the plan is drafted, it will undergo wide review by past and current AAPA leaders before it is finalized. Our plan is aggressive and will guide the work of the Academy for the next three years.

I write to you today to let you know that on July 28 at our Board of Directors meeting, my board colleagues and I unanimously approved and adopted the foundation of our plan: The vision, mission, values and strategic commitments to the profession. To date, we have convened a series of calls and meetings with the student academy leaders, commission and workgroup chairs, medical liaisons, past presidents and constituent organization leaders and presented all with numerous opportunities to comment. I invite you to continue to give us your feedback as we move ahead. AAPA's strategic plan will continue to be refined to assure that the profession has the maximum impact on transforming the nation's health and that PAs find value in AAPA membership. Our next steps are to develop measurable impact goals that support AAPA's strategic commitments to the profession and strategic initiatives that will serve as the operational tactics for our staff to execute the plan. This is a preview of what we plan to communicate to all members next month. If you have any questions or feedback, please email me at president@aapa.org.

Sincerely

James Delaney, PA-C

President, American Academy of Physician Assistants

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I apologize in advance, but reading that press release is reading a bunch of feelgood mumbo jumbo that people in management/marketing put out all the time that has no substance to it.

We dont need more steering committees, vision committes, executive plans, etc we need some CONCRETE ACTIONABLE ITEMS.

As the old lady in the Wendy's commercials used to say, WHERE'S THE BEEF?

What, EXACTLY are the future goals of the AAPA? And dont tell me their goals are "analyzing future trends" or "creating a higher caliber workforce" or "working to shape the future of healthcare" because all of that crap is meaningless drivel.

you had the VEHICLE FOR CHANGE presented to you by the name change group and you refused to even address it

you want our opinion - 6500 of us already gave it

we are lagging behind the NP's at the fault of AAPA not keeping up - you were guided in a direction and from what I have heard used passive aggresive political delay tactics to hush the oposition and now want our opinions?

my opinion is as follows:

I am not an ASSISTANT to anyone - I practice medicine and our name is holding us back - it needs to be a top priority to get it changed to associate

close behind this - PA act modernization in all 50 states

Allowed to sign anything a Doc can in every state - ie hospice, DME and home care certification, VNA

In short - catch up with the times and help remove the day to day barriers to me being the primary care provider that I am trying to be......

I will climb off my soap box now....

I won't discuss name change as everyone here knows how I feel about that.

I would like to focus on things identified by President Delaney in his recent pa professional article.

get rid of terms like supervision and replace it with sponsorship(like in WA) or collaboration in every state.

get rid of "allied health provider" and "midlevel provider".

launch a MAJOR PR campaign to let folks know what the training and ability of PA'S is and what we do everyday. highlight that we PRACTICE MEDICINE.

in 2006 several hundred pa's started an organization aimed at promoting the profession, the national association of pa's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Association_of_Physician_Assistants

they had major sponsorship from pharmaceutical organizations and were profiled in most of the major pa journals. unfortunately when the economy tanked all their major financial backers pulled out and the organization was forced to disband.

it is my hope that the new direction of the aapa will take over in the direction that NAPA was headed, "promoting the profession". different folks here will argue what that means. certainly the aapa already promotes us behind the scene in washington and to state lawmakers but what I and thousands of others want is a PR campaign directed at the avg american. the npr piece was a good start. more of the same would be great. I believe that this can be done.

I have mentioned before and will do so again that many folks are willing to finance this and would like to see a special place on the dues statement specifically for funds to address PR. not money for the aapa pac(political action committee) group but for a new aggressive pa campaign aimed at the american public with print and radio ads, etc.

I agree with AAPA aggressively pursuing President Delaney's goals as stated in the PA professional. I just re-read the article today and fully support changing the old, outdate language of supervision, mid-level, allied-health. AAPA needs to focus on removing every single barrier to PA practice in all states and territories, including re-branding our profession and our name simultaneously.

We should be the profession that the medical schools, AAPA, AMA, etc. look to to fill the shortage gap of primary care. There is no reason to study the issue anymore, but to step up to the plate, let go of turf, and launch PA's into the 21st century.

Archived