PA Salary Question

Hi everybody, I've just decided to follow the PA route after I finish my undergrad and I just had a quick question regarding PA salaries. Doing a google search shows that the average PA makes around 75k a year. Now I'm not trying to come off as if I'm only becoming a PA for money or that if all I wanted was money then I should have gone to med school but money does matter when you're looking at your career. I've seen on this forum and SDN that some PA's make well over 100k and others make less than 75k but in your opinions, how much do PA's actually make? Is what I'm coming across online skewed or is it actually representative of the PA population? I am also most likely going to do a residency so I was wondering how that also effects salary. Anyone that can answer would be a huge help, thanks in advance!

entry level is abou 70 k

5 years out likely at about 90

10 years out and further 100+ only if you are chasing the $$

BUT if you work in a few jobs - ie ER and work lots of hours, CT and work hard, or Derm on productivity you can get up to about $150 but that is a rarity

It varies so much. Check out aapa.org and you should be able to find state specific data and specialty data. Most PA's live comfortable but are not "living the dream" by any means. And if you do make a ton, you are probably having to work too many hours to enjoy the money! Just my two cents.....

I can't look at the AAPA report without becoming a paid member, which I don't wanna do haha.

Also, don't forget salary statistics are highly variable by state as well. A good example would be average PA salary in Connecticut (for ALL specialties); it is considerably higher than the average PA salary in Mississippi. You have to account for cost of living by state as well as demand for PAs within that state. I know several PAs in Connecticut who work in Ortho Surg, CT Surg, and Cardiology that have been practicing anywhere from 5-11 years, and they all make well into the 100K range. Either way, it's a very comfortable life, and one of the best careers out there.

Archived