Is the job market improving??

except for the height of the pandemic where some of the local hospitals laid off some providers...and then had to grovel to try and get them back (unsuccessfully)...not a whole lot has changed in my area.  Pretty much everyone else working in healthcare is in MASSIVE demand right now though.  It's honestly extremely frustrating as admin knows it, and while my employer isn't terrible they have definitely taken advantage.

EM in the midwest seems to have mostly recovered.  Volumes are back.  However, sites, especially ones staffed by the big 3 staffing companies haven't fully restored staffing levels.  There's still a lot of flogging the troops to see more patients.  There are job openings, in increasing numbers, but for experienced providers. The new grad job market  has improved from no openings to some but not many.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I've been applying for permanent positions in various states for months with limited success.  The last two weeks, I have gotten contacted by about 5 different job sites (along with a couple recruiters) about setting up interviews.  That's way more than previous.  Don't know if that's everyone's experience though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, justanotherperson said:

I feel like it's probably variable depending on specialty--I feel like ER is going to be a different demand than elective surgery even now

Surgery is back. The hospitals want their cash, surgeons are hungry, and pts aren't as scared to be in the hospital anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a PA for 8 years, worked same job in family medicine, a paramedic for a decade before this. Looking to relocate to the midwest from the NW and change to ED or hospitalist. I have applied for dozens of jobs, city and rural, even tribal in 4 states, only 2 interviews. Had recruiters tell me that I don't have experience in either of those fields so they are not interested, but would I be interested in a family medicine position instead. I never expected it would be this hard to change fields as a PA.

Cleveland Clinic is offering a EM Transition to Practice Training program:

https://ccf.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/ClevelandClinicCareers/job/Cleveland-Clinic-Main-Campus/APRN--PA-Trainee--Fall-2020----Emergency-Medicine_96358

I don't know anything more about this.  However, the Cleveland Clinic says they're the largest employer of PA's in Ohio, so it's probably worth looking in to.