Need some solid good advice.

Hi Everyone! I wanted to post in the PA forum because I am so very interested in going to PA school in the near future but I'm not sure how to go about it. I graduated from undergrad with a super-depressing 2.5 GPA due to many family illnesses and depression but I take full responsibility for not doing as well as I should have. I want to begin by taking all my pre-reqs again & working and doing well. What other advice do you have for people who were in the same position/know someone that would? I am ready to take all the advice I can get!! Thankss!

There's some good advice above. I would recommend picking a pre-PA career path, going to school for that (getting straight A's), and starting working. Then you can start worrying about the rest of your prereqs. If you are lucky you might even land a job that will help you pay for them. You need to get straight A's in these too.

However, before you do ANY of this, you need to get your depression under control...counseling, meds, life changes, whatever it takes. You will not make it through working and prereqs successfully and you definitely won't be successful in PA school if you don't.

Good luck!

Find a way to get into an RT, nursing, or paramedic program. It's going to take you a while to get into pa school, and you need to make a living in the meantime. A 2.5 represents a significant hurdle, and you need a backup. That's just how it is. Fortunately, those careers can open doors for you. Your gpa is going to take a significant amount of effort to budge above 3.0, which is where you need to be to be at the bottom of those considered for pa school.

This is great advice. it's much easier for a medic/rn/rt to get in with a 3.0(your goal for the foreseeable future) than a cna or emt-basic.

• Administrator
This is great advice. it's much easier for a medic/rn/rt to get in with a 3.0(your goal for the foreseeable future) than a cna or emt-basic.

The challenge with this is that it can also be difficult to get into a good, high-quality-HCE-generating program like those listed with a poor GPA, too. PA school isn't the only thing that's competitive.

From a hospital lab perspective, Here're some advices. Hospital lab alway hire Pblebotomists. That's a good starting position. In some states, you don't need licenses. They'll train you. All you need is highschool diploma and a clean record. When you got a full time position, hospitals have tuition reimbursement. I see so many people going this route to be rn/tech and it work for them. You just have to work hard for it. I think this is the cheapest way imo to get into health care professions.

Archived