Whats the best thing about being a PA? Would you recommend being one?

Guest hubbardtim48

2,000+ applied for 60 seats at my school. Another person stated a few weeks ago on here that there were 1,500+ applied for 40 seats. That seems hard to me....?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hubbardtim48

The NP schools around my area are upper 30's to lower 40's on credit hours for the MSN in FNP. Don't know where you got 130+ credit hours for PA school....My program requires 72 credit hours which is still double of NP programs....

I had 5 people say go to med school. Could I get some explanations on that?

Its not the money I am after. I have been worrying, either if I become a NP or PA, what other people will continuously think about me or judge me. I mean its not gonna make me switch my decision right away, but if I am getting tons of disrespect then maybe I'm better off becoming a md. I just feel like getting into med school is extremely hard so I figured why not go to school for half the time and a little less effort and be making a comfortable salary as a PA/np?

As the years have passed I have become more comfortable with people questioning my practice. Now, I actually want it.

Would you rather by Joe Smith, MD, who gets "respected" simply b/c of their credentials....

or....Joe Smith PA-C, who get "respected" for his proven trach record of excellent decision making, bedside manner, and outcomes?

The more closely scrutinized I am, the more attentive I will be to my own work.

When I see patients, I represent not only myself but also PAs everywhere....PAs in my dept, in my hospital, and nationwide.

The more my practice is examoned, the better. It can only benefit me IF 1) I work hard and 2) I practice GOLD STANDARD medicine. NOT...."what my SP does"...NOT "what I learned in school 10 yrs ago".....NOT "what I did at my last job".

Respect is earned with time, not conferred with letters.

To the OP - I'm currently a 1st year PA Student, and quite a bit older than you are. I'll tell you that if I had known when I was 18 that medicine is what I wanted to do with my life (instead of go into the Marine Corps like I did) I would have without a doubt set a course to get me into Medical School. While I am extremely excited about becoming a PA, and think it is an incredible profession, there will always be things an MD/DO can do that a PA will NEVER be able to do (i.e. be a neurosurgeon). I chose PA school because it fits my life NOW. You need to be honest with yourself, be really introspective, and figure out WHY you want to go into medicine, what the most important things to you will be as a healthcare provider, and what your priorities in life are. And as Anderson so eloquently put it, "Respect is earned with time, not conferred with letters." It is also EARNED through performance, discipline, dedication, and devotion to your profession and patients. And if a doctor STILL disrespects you simply because you're a PA, he/she is an arrogant, misguided IDIOT, and not worth wasting your time over anyway. Anywhere you go in life, in any job you have, you're going to run into stupid, disrespectful a**holes. So just do your thing and don't worry about them. And don't think for a second that getting into PA school will somehow not take 100% of your effort. My program had 1900 applicants for 45 seats... do the math (just over 2% acceptance). That is right in line with medical schools. So now it is on you to decide what path you want to take, and once you've reached your decision, commit to it fully, work hard, and don't look back. Good luck.

Guest hubbardtim48

My preceptor went back to medical school (Baylor) at the age of 44. He was an engineer before and now he has been practicing for 6 years in a rural community. I agree that PAs can't ever do neurosurgery, but you sure can assistant and be a neuro. PA. I just feel like everyone complains about the PA profession and how most people on this forum would go to medical school if they could do it over again. Not all people want to be a neurosurgeon or OB, etc.. my goal was to practice medicine without going through all the schooling MD/DOs have to go through. More specifically, the residency is the part that turns me off. I know I could do the 4 years of medical school, but I do not want to spend 3 more years just to do family practice (what I want to do). I could give a sh!t less about my name saying hubbardtim48 D.O. after it, instead I want to treat my patients as best as I can and do so in a rural, undeserved area. Maybe it is just me, but being at a 1,000 bed teaching hospital for the past 5 years, I have grown sick and tired of the crap that goes on in that place. Maybe that is something that has added to me being anti-MD/DO and instead looking at life as an opportunity to help those in need while living a "normal" work week without all the crazy fast pace trauma center attitude. But if anyone wants to go to medical before or after PA school then just do it and quit complaining or making excuses. I get to learn from a awesome doctor that graduated at the age of 48! Come on people, if he can do it then why can't you....? Just be happy with life, help those that need help and forget about all the fancy neurosurg, ortho surg, etc...I wish more people would work family medicine because we need people like YOU that can fill that gap and help people that NEED HEALTHCARE.

To the OP - I'm currently a 1st year PA Student, and quite a bit older than you are. I'll tell you that if I had known when I was 18 that medicine is what I wanted to do with my life (instead of go into the Marine Corps like I did) I would have without a doubt set a course to get me into Medical School. While I am extremely excited about becoming a PA, and think it is an incredible profession, there will always be things an MD/DO can do that a PA will NEVER be able to do (i.e. be a neurosurgeon). I chose PA school because it fits my life NOW. You need to be honest with yourself, be really introspective, and figure out WHY you want to go into medicine, what the most important things to you will be as a healthcare provider, and what your priorities in life are. And as Anderson so eloquently put it, "Respect is earned with time, not conferred with letters." It is also EARNED through performance, discipline, dedication, and devotion to your profession and patients. And if a doctor STILL disrespects you simply because you're a PA, he/she is an arrogant, misguided IDIOT, and not worth wasting your time over anyway. Anywhere you go in life, in any job you have, you're going to run into stupid, disrespectful a**holes. So just do your thing and don't worry about them. And don't think for a second that getting into PA school will somehow not take 100% of your effort. My program had 1900 applicants for 45 seats... do the math (just over 2% acceptance). That is right in line with medical schools. So now it is on you to decide what path you want to take, and once you've reached your decision, commit to it fully, work hard, and don't look back. Good luck.

For your interviews, how did you approach the fact that PA fit your life better now than MD? I ask because, like you, I'm older than many/most applicants, yet I get the sense sometimes that it's not the best idea to say PA is better for me now simply because it is a shorter training period. As if admitting that fact somehow suggests a lack of dedication or willingness to work hard. Were you questioned a lot during the application process about age, why PA vs. MD, etc?

For your interviews, how did you approach the fact that PA fit your life better now than MD? I ask because, like you, I'm older than many/most applicants, yet I get the sense sometimes that it's not the best idea to say PA is better for me now simply because it is a shorter training period. As if admitting that fact somehow suggests a lack of dedication or willingness to work hard. Were you questioned a lot during the application process about age, why PA vs. MD, etc?

I'm 23 and I told interviewers that the shorter training period appeals to me when I was questioned PA vs MD. I told them the truth, that I have other goals in life that mesh better with being a PA. I want to own a house and be settled into a career and community at 30, not working 80 hour weeks as a resident. Usually, they'd then ask something about if I am comfortable with the PA role and not being the head honcho or what would I do if my SP asked me to do something that I knew would cause a pt harm, so be prepared for those types of questions. I would think that as an older applicant you'd actually be less likely to get grilled about why PA vs MD.

Ok so maybe not PA's, but NP school is easier to get into. That's mainly the one I'm looking to do now considering I'm majoring in nursing.

What do you guys think of doing pre-med a long with nursing, maybe a minor in philosophy? (Heard med schools like it because it shows good critical thinking/analytics). I looked up courses and most of the core classes I need to take overlap with nursing. So what if I were one of those people that took nursing and pre-med, tried to get into med school, and if that didn't work out, become a nurse practitioner?

A lot of people post saying how being a doctor is so different that being a NP (mainly the whole way nursing curriculum is taught I guess?), like its a whole different job in a way and it "depends on what you're looking for". What do people mean? Like what is the difference besides obvious things like salary, training, and scope of practice?

I know I want to get into healthcare, its just choosing the best path.

Another problem I'm having with becoming a doctor is the residency/specialty. What if I want to switch my specialty after a couple years because I get bored of it. Then I have to go back to residency for another 3+ years and that past residency was a waste. That's why NP/PA seems nice, you can switch from and to most specialties, 'reasonably '.

If you are telling me to go to med school, can I get a list of pro's and cons? Or reasons why to go to med school?

The only advantage (I've seen or been told so far) of being a doctor is the recognition, salary, and scope of practice. Money I don't care for after 200k+, I don't need to be rolling in money to be happy with my life.

Scope of practice, well if a NP can open their own practice and run it and just meet with a supervising physician every couple of months, are they doing the same thing as doctors with their own practice? (if they arent doing any acute care or invasive procedures for the most part, just outpatient care)

recognition I'm sure I would get over after awhile

...Another problem I'm having with becoming a doctor is the residency/specialty. What if I want to switch my specialty after a couple years because I get bored of it. Then I have to go back to residency for another 3+ years and that past residency was a waste. That's why NP/PA seems nice, you can switch from and to most specialties, 'reasonably '.

This is where being a PA has the advantage. Doctors & NP's cannot practice a different specialty unless they go back & train in it, but PA's can. Even if a PA didn't get exposure to a particular specialty during clinicals, he can still get hired & trained on the job by his SP.

I looked up the course requirements for O-chem and its 'Introductory Organic Chemistry Lecture+Lab' Does that sound like a modified version or one you need to take for pre-med? How do I find out?

Ok that makes sense. But I'm afraid of how competitive it is. What if I dont have the GPA at the end to apply to med schools and don't get accepted? Then what do I do?

Ok that makes sense. But I'm afraid of how competitive it is. What if I dont have the GPA at the end to apply to med schools and don't get accepted? Then what do I do?

Work your butt off to get the grades. It sounds like you havent started school yet, so you still have the future ahead of you. The ball is in your court.

btw from what i know, it would take you a couple extra years to get a dual degree in nursing and biology. most of the courses required for nursing do not count towards a biology degree. if you want to do both biology (pre med) and nursing the best way to go about it would probably be to graduate with your degree in biology (and med school prereqs) and then get an accelerated nursing degree (BSN designed for people with science degrees, usually about a year - year and a half in length)... good luck

The NP schools around my area are upper 30's to lower 40's on credit hours for the MSN in FNP. Don't know where you got 130+ credit hours for PA school....My program requires 72 credit hours which is still double of NP programs....

I stand corrected. Either my data is old or I'm totally lost.

I did a random survey of some NE schools - note the following

MPAS PA PROGRAM 101 credit hours

Northestern PA 103 credit hours

FPU-PA 126 credit hours

UNE PA program 108 credit hours.

Perhaps a 100 + credit hours is more appropriate

And I agree, APRN/NP program are all much much less...

Example UVM's FNP program is 55 credits (which is on the high end)

To the OP:

It sounds to me like you're jumping ahead quite a bit. The paths you're considering all require similar base science courses, which you should be taking over the first two years of undergrad. During that time you will figure a lot of things out about yourself and what you want for your future. College is a life-changing experience for many people. Let yourself get there and enjoy it. There are counselors at university to help you plot your course once you really learn what you like and what you're good at. Take advantage.

One thing... I'd say psychology over philosophy. Psych infiltrates every part of patient care and teaches you to think critically about the world.

Why should the OP go to med school? Is it because he'll get disrespected as a PA? Or the scope of practice or because it's a profession for older people? Dr's disrespect other doctors just as often also. I would say that if he wants to try being a PA let him, and if he's dissatisfied with being a PA or medicine in general, then he's still young enough to go to med school if he wants or to do something else and while he will have a lot of debt there's less than a doc.

It's discouraging to see PA's who love their job and have practiced for 20+ years tell others to not even bother with the profession? Why is that? I think that it's wrong to try and steer someone away without even telling them why. Why not tell them so they can make a really informed decision?

I answered, as did many other wizened PAs. Honestly the OP should read our old threads & posts because after 7 yr of spouting the same answers to the same basic questions, I am tired. I also have MUCH less free time as a medical student than I did when I was pondering the same questions. Read the old posts, OP. There's good stuff there.

Guest hubbardtim48

Man 100+ is still a lot, but I looked at those schools and you are correct. I don't know they differences, but truly don't care. I do know for a fact that PA curriculum is a lot more than NP curriculum. Thanks for the correction on the PA school, I am not sure if more credit hours = more schooling/rotations, but I know it is more to pay for haha :)

This is where being a PA has the advantage. Doctors & NP's cannot practice a different specialty unless they go back & train in it, but PA's can. Even if a PA didn't get exposure to a particular specialty during clinicals, he can still get hired & trained on the job by his SP.

Thats almost exactly what I said lol "That's why NP/PA seems nice, you can switch from and to most specialties, 'reasonably '."

That sounds like a Pre nursing course that wouldn't fulfill a premed prereq. The "introductory" part gives me pause. Also, the prereqs for ochem are usually general chem 1 and gen chem 2. If you can take that course without both of those as required courses, then it's probably not the real deal. What you could do is take premed prereqs and basically overshoot the nursing ones, but you run the risk of doing poorly in them, and then having to compete with Pre nurses who did better in thier easier prereq courses. You find out by makin phone calls and getting with an advisor.

As for what you should do, that's up to you. It's not a good sign for getting into meds school if you are deep enough in doubt about your ability to be able to make the grades you need to get in. I don't know you, so maybe you can pull it off.

Oh well I kind of assumed it would be known chem 1+2 would be a prereq cuz I thought all schools were like that. I'll ask an adviser and see whats up with that class, if I make the decision to do pre-med.

I'm a good student its just senior year I started not caring, smoked weed, and slacked and got "senioritis" so my grades weren't that good and my confidence in my knowledge went down. But I'm a hardworking kid. I took college level classes (AP classes) since freshmen year and stuck with AP classes all 4 years, even if it meant getting a C versus an A. I hated being around disrespectful kids in lower level classes who didn't really care about their education and always messed around, I enjoy learning so I always took at least honors level classes.

I am tired. I also have MUCH less free time as a medical student than I did when I was pondering the same questions.

I'm extremely sorry for wasting your time primadonna. Why take the time to answer, especially if you know its gonna be one of those threads? The over-asked question is the title, just read that and simply skip over it. I'm not trying to waste anyone's time or come across as being disrespectful to you. I just figure you know what you are getting yourself into when you read the title.

Everyone's situation is different and forums are made to post questions, problems, stories, and information. So why cant people do that? A lot of the time, on ANY forum, just searching a question doesn't result in the question being brought up in the results word from word. Some threads dont have all the questions in one thread. I search the first page or two of the forum for info like most. But I will try to start using the search feature

Also, just wondering if someone could give me an answer to this because I would really like to know the true scope of practice of NP's and having your own private practice

"well if a NP can open their own practice and run it and just meet with a supervising physician every couple of months,are they doing the same things as doctors with their own practice? (if they arent doing any acute care or invasive procedures for the most part, just outpatient care)"

Another thing, how do you get patients to come to you? I mean don't majority of patients prefer to have a "doctor" and not a "nurse practitioner". I feel like a lot of people would think you were unqualified, not trained well and would never be a "regular"? Do you charge less as a NP and that's how you attract people to your practice?

Archived