PA reimbursement negotiation

Hi everyone,

What percentage of total collections should a PA's pay be in your opinion? I've seen received several different answers in the past. 

Is 50% collections unreasonable? 

I am at about 30% and 4 years into the same job and am bringing this up with my employer soon...

Thank you for your responses

There isn't a simple number because you have to know what the reimbursement is vs the profit from the reimbursement. I worked for years on 50% of reimbursement after overhead. It was a small rural health clinic and I knew the numbers pretty well so it was easy for me to do that.

You can't expect 50% of say $100 of 45% is eaten up by overhead. There have been estimates that just billing and collections can be 35% of a small practices overhead.

If you know all the numbers it is much easier to negotiate a higher rate.

Last time I had access also interest in such things I was frustrated by lack of industry norms.

My company was keeping 55% for overhead. My salary+costs was bringing me to about 25-30% of collections if I remember correctly. The docs were pocketing their own 45% of their own collections, + 20% of mine, which I felt was inequitable. I think 40% would be reasonable low end of % collections

14 hours ago, Arthropathy said:

Last time I had access also interest in such things I was frustrated by lack of industry norms.

My company was keeping 55% for overhead. My salary+costs was bringing me to about 25-30% of collections if I remember correctly. The docs were pocketing their own 45% of their own collections, + 20% of mine, which I felt was inequitable. I think 40% would be reasonable low end of % collections

This is why they, Docs do not want any form of independence for PA’s and won’t look at options for PA’s . That extra percent is pretty nice at the end of the day. There are ways for PA’s(MCP) and NP’s to provide appropriate care independently, given adequate supervision and required exam similar to Family med board, not watered down NP nursing care version.  Not right out of school, or even in 2 years, as many NP’s are doing. My opinion, PA’s need title and serious post grad supervision, plus required some sort of area specific continued education  for at least 3 years, then independence.  Take higher road as APP, protecting patients and profession at the same time.