Overall GPA - discouraged!

Hey everyone and anyone,

So i'm looking to apply the next cycle and have calculated my overall GPA various ways - through calculators found on this forum, through calculators given to me from mentors, and through CASPA.I also calculated it in regards to my last 60 units. Anyways, I just recently paid of a service to get an assessment done to see if I'm a qualified candidate and they calculated my overall GPA and I guess I initially didn't account for grades for classes I retook (due to bad grades) and it dropped my overall GPA from what I thought was a 3.2 to a 2.97!!!!!! I am beyond discouraged now. If this is how CASPA will calculate my score, I'm afraid schools will automatically toss my application. I have listed some schools that have "no minimum requirement" as well as schools that are within my range to apply to but I'm nervous now. I understand that schools tend to look at an application in a holistic view, which I'm hopeful for, but would love to hear some guidance or success stories in regards to this. My science GPA is near a 3.4, I have 11 years experience as an MA at an infectious disease clinic, over 500 hours volunteer work, and also have an upward trend in my GPA.

Lets to a TLDR;

Miscalculated overall GPA from 3.2 to 2.97
Beyond discouraged about my chances for next cycle
Am competitive in other areas for application (i think??)
Just looking for words of encouragement at this point

CASPA averages retakes: get a 3 credit C (2.0) and then get an 3 credit A (4.0) on the retake and it's like you got a 6 credit B (3.0). The CASPA schools I know don't try to compute the averages on their own; there is enough other stuff to be doing besides checking CASPA's math.

Schools that concentrate on your last x credits might be a different story. I've not been associated with any of them.

You should look up schools who focus on the past 60-90 credits; they do exist! From there, make sure to set aside a good amount of time to work on your personal statement and supplemental questions (if applicable), and maybe get some PA shadowing in there if there are opportunities. I'm not sure what shadowing will look like in this age of COVID, but some schools have a minimum for it. Most importantly, apply EARLY as a lot of programs participate in rolling admissions.

I applied to schools with lower GPA thresholds, and who also took into account grade trends while focusing on the most recent credits. This was my 3rd cycle applying, and I received 3 interviews plus 1 waitlist for interview! It's totally possible!

13 hours ago, TheColorBlue said:

You should look up schools who focus on the past 60-90 credits; they do exist! From there, make sure to set aside a good amount of time to work on your personal statement and supplemental questions (if applicable), and maybe get some PA shadowing in there if there are opportunities. I'm not sure what shadowing will look like in this age of COVID, but some schools have a minimum for it. Most importantly, apply EARLY as a lot of programs participate in rolling admissions.

I applied to schools with lower GPA thresholds, and who also took into account grade trends while focusing on the most recent credits. This was my 3rd cycle applying, and I received 3 interviews plus 1 waitlist for interview! It's totally possible!

Do you mind telling me what have you done differently this cycle? Which schools did you applied to and received interviews from? Thank you in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

My s/cGPA were very similar to yours and I got into PA school and am currently in my clinical year. Focus primarily on schools with lower GPA requirements(there is a list somewhere here on PAF that has a list of programs that have different GPA standards). If possible, do not limit yourself to a specific geographic location. Play the numbers game and you increase your odds.Have a KILLER personal statement/essay and Phenomenal LORs. After submitting applications continue to work on your GPA by retaking classes, if possible, while waiting for interviews. In addition, gain more work experience and focus on prepping for the interview. Pick up interview books and set up mock interviews with a friend or family member and rehearse most common questions. Get to know: yourself, PA profession, and Current events (regarding the PA profession and Healthcare in general). Don't quit. If PA-C is your goal, It'll be yours if you really want it. Good luck.