PA vs NP

What exactly is the difference between PAs and NPs because they both seem like similar jobs but NPs seem to be able to have more autonomy. I did research and they're allowed to practice by themselves legally in like 23 states. And PAs can practice by themselves in the majority of the states but only under a Physicians supervision. So what are the pros and cons of either PA or NP.

Edited by givemethatdegree

From my understanding, PAs focus more on the medical model and NPs on the nursing model. I would research this a bit more. I believe the nursing model focuses on patient-centered care (focusing on physical, spiritual, emotional, and mental well being of the patient). They also focus on health education and prevention. While The medical model focuses on a disease-based approach. It includes biological and pathological components. 

I also agree NPs to be more autonomous (for the most part). PAs tend to work more under a supervising physician.

I have also heard that PAs have a more generalized education, even though they can specialize. I think an NP tends to have a more specialized education (e.g. Women’s Health, geriatrics). 

Also just remember the difference in education. You have to become a nurse first, gain experience, and then do NP. PA must get bachelor’s (not sure if you can do an Associate’s) and then do PA school. 

I know PAs must continue gaining education throughout their career and get recertification. I Think a NP does too. 

I hope this is helpful, this is just what I have found while doing research for my interviews!  

This has been covered pretty extensively.

In terms of patient care though, it is misleading to say that NPs are more autonomous. Yes, they can legally practice independently in many states. However, your "supervising" physician won't be standing over your shoulder every minute of the day (often times will not even be in the same building); most of the decisions you make will be made independently. Many argue that PAs are more qualified to do this despite the legal definitions. 

Edited by TheFatMan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, givemethatdegree said:

What exactly is the difference between PAs and NPs because they both seem like similar jobs but NPs seem to be able to have more autonomy. I did research and they're allowed to practice by themselves legally in like 23 states. And PAs can practice by themselves in the majority of the states but only under a Physicians supervision. So what are the pros and cons of either PA or NP.

NP =cheaper and faster. Much less competitive for admission. Theoretically more autonomy.

less training. Requires you to have extensive prior experience or highly motivated self learner to be knowledgeable. Can switch specialties a little depending on the type (FNP most broad), but may have to go back for additional certs for some specialties.

PA= more clinical training, able to transition between all specialties rather than just a few or requiring significant retraining. More residencies. 

Admission is more competitive. More expensive. Dumb ass title. Theoretically less autonomy. Poor lobby.

There is no real thing as holistic vs disease focused. Medicine does not ignore social issues (we spend most of our day dealing with them).

in practice, paid equally and do the same job in the same way with the same restrictions at the local level. I practice complete autonomy in a solo ED. There is chart co-sign, but NPs also have to do that and they are independent in my area. 

- RN and PA and prior MSN student.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1