Advice for transition to full time faculty

Starting new position as an instructor for a PA program coming up. 

Was wondering if there were any words of wisdom or other educational PEARLs/ resources people recommend to check out. 

Also wondering how life/work balance was with the change (transitioning from ER) and whether or not people found it to be better, with the ability to pick up shifts here and there 

1 hour ago, jomanj2020 said:

Starting new position as an instructor for a PA program coming up. 

Was wondering if there were any words of wisdom or other educational PEARLs/ resources people recommend to check out. 

Also wondering how life/work balance was with the change (transitioning from ER) and whether or not people found it to be better, with the ability to pick up shifts here and there 

Having taught off/on the last couple of years biggest advice I can offer is:

1) Teaching is hard. These are adults you are dealing with, the teacher-student relationship that most faculty fall back on is what they remember from grade school or high school as this is what is most familiar to them. Remember, these people have life experiences maybe surpassing your own, and they are paying a lot of money to receive a service from you. Treat them like the adults and quasi-customers that they are. 

2) Ego can seriously get in your way. Admitting that you are wrong to a group of individuals that you want to have complete faith in you is HARD, but the biggest failures I've seen in teaching is with those who refuse to admit they are wrong. It is impossible to know the breadth and depth of all the medicine we teach, there are going to be questions that you don't know the answer to and that's OKAY! You'll also be blatantly wrong at some point, acknowledge it when it happens, research it, and let the students know the right answer. 

Make sure you keep yourself clinically competent and applicable. You now have even more of a responsibility to stay on top of clinical trends and evidence. 

Congratulations on the position and being able to still pick up shifts, I turned down the application for a position once I was told I could only maintain a 0.1FTE for outside clinical work 🙄

Let us know how it all goes!

Plan for about 3 iterations of teaching a class before you really get it down:

• the 1st time you develop all your lesson plans, lecture notes, quizzes, and exams
  • the 2nd time (1st revision) you tune all of this based on what parts students didn't seem to understand well.  You tune your explanations to anticipate questions
  • the 3rd time you get to do final revisions and are pretty much good to go.

So, especially your 1st year, it will be a lot of work and you'll need to be open to feedback on how to improve.

• Upvote 1