Any lung transplant PAs out there?

I’ve been working in pulmonary critical care for the last five years and am applying to a position on a lung transplant team. The job would be a combination of outpatient evaluation pre-op/post-op as well as some inpatient. No OR time. Wondering if anyone out there has made a similar transition...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I previously worked in solid organ transplant (kidney, liver, occasional pancreas). Over 4 years, I worked outpatient and inpatient, very rarely scrubbed in when floor was slow. Obviously different organ systems and details of care, but a lot of the logistics I would imagine are similar. Evaluation and listing for transplant, inpatient post-op to outpatient transition and then chronic care. There was a significant amount of non-clinical time spent in selection committees, cancer conference, pathology conference, etc. Let me know if you have any questions more general transplant questions.

Thanks for the helpful reply, Randito. Assuming this was not your first job out of school, what about your previous positions do you feel prepared you for the position? Do you enjoy the job overall? Also, I'd be interested to hear about any particular resources that you found helpful when you got started in the field....

23 hours ago, ccc1180 said:

I’ve been working in pulmonary critical care for the last five years and am applying to a position on a lung transplant team. The job would be a combination of outpatient evaluation pre-op/post-op as well as some inpatient. No OR time. Wondering if anyone out there has made a similar transition...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the opposite...kinda. I started off doing advanced heart failure/transplant but in a CCU, did no outpatient stuff and have since transitioned to pulmonary/critical care.

I'm assuming a large part of your position will involve immunosuppression so consider reading up on whatever the preferred agents are for lungs (we were all about tacrolimus), therapeutic levels and what time frame they have established for those. Meds that will effect those levels as well and titration strategies.

Be able to recognize rejection, understand the workup necessary to evaluate.

Now in the pre-transplant arena I'm assuming you'll be working on ensuring all goal directed medical therapies are being followed and there will likely be a formal workup orderset/template available which is organization dependent. Read up on UNOS, criteria, how organs are allocated.

As I've learned, lungs are a LOT different than hearts (way harder in my opinion) so good luck and let us know how it goes!