Does PA program matter for residency?

Hi guys, in need of some help deciding here. Here's the dilemma:

I've been accepted to a brand new program that begins in January, still contemplating accepting the seat. I was largely leaning toward accepting it when I received an interview at one of the top programs in the nation.

I'm in my late 20s now and truthfully, I feel like time is of the essence--which drove a huge part of me to want to attend the new (but sooner start) program. Especially because I would like to apply for an Emergency Medicine Residency after PA school.

Basically, does the PA program you attend matter when it comes to residency? Should I choose the new program that begins sooner, or potentially hold off for a more prestigious program?
I've seen this on the forum about jobs, but to those who have applied for residencies.. did it help you land the residency if you attended a more prestigious school?

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

On 9/9/2020 at 1:50 AM, missy57 said:

Hi guys, in need of some help deciding here. Here's the dilemma:

I've been accepted to a brand new program that begins in January, still contemplating accepting the seat. I was largely leaning toward accepting it when I received an interview at one of the top programs in the nation.

I'm in my late 20s now and truthfully, I feel like time is of the essence--which drove a huge part of me to want to attend the new (but sooner start) program. Especially because I would like to apply for an Emergency Medicine Residency after PA school.

Basically, does the PA program you attend matter when it comes to residency? Should I choose the new program that begins sooner, or potentially hold off for a more prestigious program?
I've seen this on the forum about jobs, but to those who have applied for residencies.. did it help you land the residency if you attended a more prestigious school?

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

I would not chose the school based on the criteria you stated above. I would chose based on how you assess their ability to provide you with clinical rotations. COVID was a game changer, and even bigger schools are having trouble placing their students on rotations. Some rotations have moved partially or totally online. Weird, right?!

Another thing not to be overlooked is price. The cost of attendance and the financial burden is often underestimated. 

In the grand scheme of things, will a few months make a difference? Only you can answer that for yourself. 

• Like 2

On 9/9/2020 at 1:50 AM, missy57 said:

1. Forget the concept of "top programs in the nation." This really doesn't hold any weight in the PA community. What matters is that you receive an adequate education to pass the PANCE.

2. PANCE pass rate is the best marker for whether you're getting the education you need.

3. Total tuition cost is the second thing you should consider if there is no discrepancy between PANCE scores of programs you're considering.

4. Availability of physical rotation sites. COVID has messed this up a bit, and it would be unreasonable to expect a program to 100% guarantee availability for all core rotations. However, if a program is switching to online rotations for a majority of their core requirements, this would be something to reconsider.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 3:06 PM, missy57 said:

Hi all,

I appreciate the advice thus far. Definitely taking all of this into consideration and shifting my perspective.

To give you a reference (in case you don't have one so far). If, say, a school has a tuition of 80K (that's an average tuition at private schools), when all said and done, between tuition money, money you borrow for living expenses, and interest rates, you'll end up paying back about 200K. That's the cost of a very decent house in some parts of the country. But you won't have 30 years to pay that back, only 10 years. Ideally, you want to pay those back sooner than 10 years. If you still have undergrad loans you can see how that complicates matters even more. 

For anyone else reading this post, PSA: the federal government will let you borrow enough to live a very comfortable life style while in PA school. Because they know that the vast majority of people will graduate and will become PA-C and will make a decent paycheck, and the federal government cannot wait for those bills come due. 

• Upvote 1

If you're looking at doing an EM residency the bigger factor benefiting your chances for that will be doing extra ER rotations as not only your core but elective rotations too. Also, having EMT experience, as well extracurricular activities during PA school will help greatly such as joining the emergency medicine club or anything that involves emergency medicine or high acuity case learning.  if there isn't an emergency med club, start one, I am sure someone on your faculty did EM and perhaps they can help. 

The school name does not matter. Extracurricular activities, proof that there's a high interest in EM, Letter of rec from your EM preceptors, plus good grades will get you those interviews. 

• Like 1