PT aide as majority PCE? Worried my stats will not suffice for next cycle..

Guest Acamp1997

Guest Acamp1997

Hello everyone, over the last year, I have made the decision to move away from Physical Therapy as my profession of choice and make a transition over to PA. That being said, a majority of Patient Care experience comes from being a Physical Therapist aide. Luckily I quickly realized that this type of job is considered adequate PCE, I am worried that I do not have enough variety as being a PT was my primary goal for many years. I had several internships/ shadowing opportunities lined up, but they were quickly pulled due to Covid. I am planning to apply to schools in the Tri-State area this upcoming cycle, but I'd like to hear some opinions on my stats, and if I should wait another year to apply and improve what I have. *I understand that all information/suggestions are merely suggestions and should not be used as sole validation to my application* thanks!

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.96

Science Undergrad. GPA: 4.0

GRE: V/158, Q/162, AWA/5.0

Direct Patient Care: about 2000 hours in two outpatient physical therapy clinics.

Volunteering: about 100 hours working in a hospital

Shadowing: (currently none)

Awards:
-Consecutive President's list (3.75 GPA) for each semester
-Graduated Summa Cum Laude
-Awarded with highest academic honor for my major (Biology)
-Nominated for Valedictorian of my graduating class.

Any tips or suggestions? my main goal is to broaden my patient care experience, find some research opportunities, or expand upon my volunteering. How would I be looking going into next cycle with what I have right now?

Guest Acamp1997

You think so? Unfortunately I’ve fallen into the trap of comparison, and see so many applicants with extravagant PCE and HCE, under so many healthcare professionals. To say the least it’s very discouraging. 

Guest Acamp1997
22 minutes ago, TheFatMan said:

I think a lot of it depends on where you apply. Your stats look good, and for a lot of schools you wouldn't need to have any more or different PCE. If your ambitious though, other types of PCE might better prepare you to be a PA unless your interest is in sports med or something like that.

That’s great to know. I am more of an ambitious type, so regardless of satisfying the requirements, I want to be as prepared as I can be. Aside from the typical CNA, EMT positions, what other HCE/PCE would you reccomend I look into? 

22 minutes ago, Acamp1997 said:

That’s great to know. I am more of an ambitious type, so regardless of satisfying the requirements, I want to be as prepared as I can be. Aside from the typical CNA, EMT positions, what other HCE/PCE would you reccomend I look into? 

I think EMT and MA are two of the broad ones that won't take a long time to get trained or certified in (depending on where you are). If the programs you are looking at allow it, I've heard scribing is good experience. You won't really be hands on but you'll learn quite a bit since you can just be a fly on the wall. I'm sure there are many others - take a minute to look around the forum though. There are a lot of good options but probably wouldn't be feasible given you wish to apply next year. The best recommendation I can make is that whatever you end up doing, let the providers or other staff know of your intentions and that you wish to learn as much as you can while working. 

Best of luck!

• Upvote 2

I agree that your stats look great! It's never too early to begin accumulating shadowing hours and getting to know PAs (especially if you need a letter of rec), volunteering, working on personal statement, etc. Your main goals that you listed are what I would focus on now, too. The road to applying is arduous. It seems like you've gotten the GPA and healthcare hours checked off. Now off to the other aspects.

I was a PT aide with a lower GPA than yours (3.7) and so far in the cycle I've gotten 3 interviews and 1 acceptance. 
However, I did diversify my experience and it may have helped my application (it also made me feel so much more comfortable with the role of a PA). I was a medical scribe in the ER which I HIGHLY recommend. It gives you a solid background in completing all the paperwork aspects of healthcare, plus many jobs train on-site. Pay is minimum but you do gain good experience.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

ACamp - don't be worried about all the PCE being PT based as long as patients were in your care, that what's schools want to see.

Mine were a variety, however much lower based than yours - mainly Phelb and athletic training.  

Depending on which schools you are applying to - you should be a strong candidate.  Just make sure you have a strong Pre Req GPA - that's the schools best way to compare 1:1 of the applicants.

Example    Basket Weaving Major with 3.6 undergrad CUM, however all Prereq   hours taken at community college with 3.0 Pre Req GPA vs PT undergrad with 3.6 GPA however 3.5 GPA with Pre Req Cum taken at university.

Best way to compare how you stack up.

Good Luck.