For the working PAs out there, a question if you don't mind. I'm working at a good FM/Urgent Care practice where I'm the primary (and only) provider. There was a MD and a PA here prior who have both moved onto opportunities more local to their homes. The Doc has basically stopped coming in since my hire, so I have a lot of responsibliities to handle on my own.

My question is concerning being asked yesterday that I'm okay with no overtime pay. They're currently working me 6 nine hour days, 50/hr. I was told that since I'm receiving a higher compensation than the MAs that I'm expected to not get overtime.

On the one hand, I'm just grateful to be working in a well-stocked practice with a great patient population. The staff are capable and comfortable. My pay is good and I could use the extra time. However, I don't see the comparison to MAs as being a valid reason for not receiving overtime pay, and they're using it to work me a 6th day without that time and a half compensation. I really like it here and want it to work ... any suggestions? I'm thinking to be firm that they need to bring on another provider for one or two days, but I'm worried that they'll think I can't handle it and look for someone who can.

Any seasoned suggestions?

It does not seem to be a valid comparison at all. You are not an MA, you are a PROVIDER. You are the revenue generator in the office. No one eats unless you see patients. If you were hired on with the understanding that that extra day would be "overtime" pay, then you should either renegotiate a higher hourly rate, or let them know that you aren't willing to work the extra days straight time. It is not a question of not being able to handle it -- you are showing them you aren't a golden goose who works for nothing. I would be surprised if they find someone who wants to work that schedule long term; if I'm reading your post correctly you get one day off? That's not very sustainable.

I'm not sure what the labor laws in your state are. You are likely an exempt employee when it comes to FLSA overtime, although i remember something happening in CA where PA's in a certain hospital received a large amount of retro pay for OT unfairly denied to them. Regardless, if this is something you negotiated on your way in, it's pretty bad form for them to take it away.

My thoughts.

For the working PAs out there, a question if you don't mind. I'm working at a good FM/Urgent Care practice where I'm the primary (and only) provider. There was a MD and a PA here prior who have both moved onto opportunities more local to their homes. The Doc has basically stopped coming in since my hire, so I have a lot of responsibliities to handle on my own.

My question is concerning being asked yesterday that I'm okay with no overtime pay. They're currently working me 6 nine hour days, 50/hr. I was told that since I'm receiving a higher compensation than the MAs that I'm expected to not get overtime.

On the one hand, I'm just grateful to be working in a well-stocked practice with a great patient population. The staff are capable and comfortable. My pay is good and I could use the extra time. However, I don't see the comparison to MAs as being a valid reason for not receiving overtime pay, and they're using it to work me a 6th day without that time and a half compensation. I really like it here and want it to work ... any suggestions? I'm thinking to be firm that they need to bring on another provider for one or two days, but I'm worried that they'll think I can't handle it and look for someone who can.

Any seasoned suggestions?

might be legal might not - depends on your state laws - do some research.......

but is sure is a crappy thing to do to you - they can not leave an MA in charge of the clinic so to make that comparison just shows they don't get it.

I would politely tell them that you don't mind a 40 hour week, but over that needs to be 1.5 time - also, if they do not like it they can feel free to hire another doc (at 100-200k per year.... )

I have no tolerance for people that make more and more money off our labors but refuse to give us even straight time, not saying overtime..... Heck if we stay around and seem 3 more patients that makes them more money and we should share in that.

I have only once said I am done to the clinic manager - told them to pick the last patient to be seen from the 8 that they had checked in after closing - they *****ed, I saw one patient and they never again took advantage of me like that. They understood that I value my time and I am not a door matt......

tough spot - good luck but by all means stand up for yourself and all other PA's out there! (and don't work for free unless they are not charging the patients any money )

I have only once said I am done to the clinic manager - told them to pick the last patient to be seen from the 8 that they had checked in after closing - they *****ed, I saw one patient and they never again took advantage of me like that. They understood that I value my time and I am not a door matt......

tough spot - good luck but by all means stand up for yourself and all other PA's out there! (and don't work for free unless they are not charging the patients any money )

I like this!

People will only take advantage of you if you allow them to. Seems like you have had a good working relationship thus far. They don't want to jeopardize that. Put your foot down - in a nice, but firm way - and don't settle for less than what you deserve, Heme.

6 days/week at any pay is not sustainable. the pay is fine but that schedule sucks. would they let you do 4 twelves or 5 tens? 130k/yr is nice but you need some time to spend it. I quit a job a few years ago that paid 150k/yr but I worked almost every day. they nickel and dimed me with short shifts, alternating day/nights, etc. money was good but not worth it. I make less now and am happier.

some places just don't pay overtime. my current job doesn't and I often work long stretches(10+ days in a row)docs in the group don't get overtime either.. union jobs tend to pay overtime or positions where you work for a hospital, not a group.

comparison to the ma's is crap. they have high school+ 6 mo of training, you have at least 6 YEARS of training after high school, not to mention your prior experience.

So then ... ?

I do it by choice to accommodate other things like school and then have many days off in a row. I could work 3 eleven hr shifts/week without much difficulty too. I also make more $/hr than you do so it's a bit less painful not getting overtime.

I just got back from 9 days in Haiti. I didn't take any vacation time for the month and am working 4 weeks of shifts in 3 weeks. my choice, not because I have to.

Put your foot down - in a nice, but firm way -

I called and spoke with my Admin and told him just this ... I also stated that it had been recommended to me by a colleague ... credit where credit is due. Thank you.

Thanks friends, much appreciated and it helped me put things into perspective. It's a small family run business (which is perfect for me) and things were tight when I came on last week so there wasn't really time for negotiations. The Doc obviously wants someone who can jump in and help steer the ship so he needed to make sure I was up to task I'm sure. Now that things are working out well on both sides it's time to start talking about the way things will be. We've already touched on benefits and other items and we're all keen on expanding the business in a few ways.

I think that two words which apply here are perspective and precedence. It's important to set the right precedence (for me and all PAs ;) always that) and it's also important to keep things in perspective, including remembering the difference between a MA and PA (or Doc). There's also something to be said for working a run ... just not something my bad back can handle for too long without rest. Perspective from all sorts of angles.

Thanks again.

It's great to see how close a community this is and that so many of you continue to be helpful. Glad things are working out for you and you were able to get some good advice on here Homegroup. A big lesson I learned at a young age is to never let someone take advantage of you, which I believe chiaroscuro27 ​also mentioned. Best of luck Homegroup.

It's great to see how close a community this is and that so many of you continue to be helpful. Glad things are working out for you and you were able to get some good advice on here Homegroup. A big lesson I learned at a young age is to never let someone take advantage of you, which I believe chiaroscuro27 ​also mentioned. Best of luck Homegroup.

http://www.chemistry.wustl.edu/~courses/genchem/Tutorials/Hemoglobin/heme.htm

;)

For those of you working on an hourly rate, take a look at: http://dallas.legalexaminer.com/workplace-injuries/nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants-entitled-to-overtime-pay.aspx?googleid=202486

Suggest that yo contact the AAPA for guidance on how best to address such issues.

Sad to think how much i lost in salary from uncompensated OT!

awesome, thanks!

Archived