10 week trauma training fellowship

Hurley Medical Center(flint, michigan) has a 25 year history of Physician Assistant education, serving as a preceptor site for six Physician Assistant school rotation sites. In 1996, Hurley Medical Center was the first ACS Level I Trauma Center to implement the Physician Assistant-Trauma Surgeon delivery model without a surgical residency program. The model continues in use as the backbone of trauma and emergent surgical care, and its role has expanded to introduce a unique opportunity in the delivery of trauma education.

In order to educate mid-level practitioners in the area of trauma care, Hurley is offering an intensive ten-week Trauma Fellowship with a focus on trauma management and acute care surgery.

Fellows will work with Board Certified Surgeons, Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners and receive didactic as well as hands-on experience delivering care to the complex trauma patient. They will obtain skills in the trauma field that will enhance and improve their own practice and provide needed experience to their respective trauma system.

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for sharing this info. I'm in school in PA now, but I'm originally from MI and am considering moving back when I'm done.. Great to know there are more options out there. 10 weeks is certainly something to consider too (rather than a 1 year residency) - have you heard anything else about this?

• 1 month later...
wow, it costs the APPLICANT $3500 to do this course!!!!

PLUS

The cost of Michigan Licensing Hassles...

PLUS

The cost of housing, food, travel ?Insurance?, etc...

Then they are going to charge for YOUR services right ... ???

Hmmm... you've just been PIMPED like a cheap ho...!!!

Simply looks like more folks cashing in on the PA cow... gravy train....

Seems "Gimmicky"... with more to come.

Reminds me of these: Stupid ... Stupider... Stupidest

Beware

• 9 months later...

Has anyone actually participated in this program? Anyone think its a worthwhile opportunity? Seems a little fast to learn everything listed on their website.

"Each topic will presented by the fellow with supplemental lectures by trauma staff. Each lecture should cover relevant anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, differential diagnosis, assessment and management."

• Week 1 Physiological Response to Trauma/Shock, Trauma Surveys, Resuscitation, Documentation
  • Week 2 Airway and Ventilatory Management/Blunt and Penetrating Neck Injuries
  • Week 3 Head Injury/Facial Injuries
  • Week 4 Blunt and Penetrating Thoracic Injuries
  • Week 5 Blunt and Penetrating Abdominal Injuries
  • Week 6 Pelvic and Genitourinary Injuries/Damage Control Surgery
  • Week 7 Spine and Musculoskeletal Injuries
  • Week 8 Burns/Thermal Injuries
  • Week 9 The Pregnant Trauma Patient/Trauma in the Elderly
  • Week 10 Pediatric Trauma

Just curious.

I did a 5 week trauma rotation following a standard ATLS course, granted the rotation was 132 hrs/week(alternating 24 and 12 hr days),but feel I covered everything on that list between the course and the rotation. What I would have liked was more of a chance to do procedures. I put in some chest tubes, was in the O.R. and ICU a lot but would have liked more central lines, more fast exams, etc.

• 4 years later...

Archived