Career in cancer research - Scientific Journal Publication

Hello,

I am currently absorbed in the CASPA and I was wondering where to put scientific journal publications? I am a recent college grad (2011, bachelor's degree) and presently work in clinical research. My boss and I recently published in a respected research journal, and I was listed as the first author. (Well, I should say, the article's been submitted, and has been reviewed/accepted, just not physically in print yet--- but will be soon.) Is there any place that would be good to note this? It is very significant.

Thanks! And good luck to everybody.

Lauren

Hello,

I am currently absorbed in the CASPA and I was wondering where to put scientific journal publications? I am a recent college grad (2011, bachelor's degree) and presently work in clinical research. My boss and I recently published in a respected research journal, and I was listed as the first author. (Well, I should say, the article's been submitted, and has been reviewed/accepted, just not physically in print yet--- but will be soon.) Is there any place that would be good to note this? It is very significant.

Thanks! And good luck to everybody.

Lauren

I'm in the same boat as you, except mine's a public health publication. I was first author too so I'm going to get a little creative and put it under leadership. There were 5 other undergraduate peers that I worked with on the paper and it was difficult coordinating meeting times, who was doing what, the process of writing the paper, and being the one responsible for edits and correspondence with the journal. Not to mention all the drama of working with people your age who all want a higher author order. I'm also going to email CASPA to ask and see what they suggest, but if there's nowhere else, I'm just going to put it there and hope it flies! Good luck to you too!

I'm in the same boat as you, except mine's a public health publication. I was first author too so I'm going to get a little creative and put it under leadership. There were 5 other undergraduate peers that I worked with on the paper and it was difficult coordinating meeting times, who was doing what, the process of writing the paper, and being the one responsible for edits and correspondence with the journal. Not to mention all the drama of working with people your age who all want a higher author order. I'm also going to email CASPA to ask and see what they suggest, but if there's nowhere else, I'm just going to put it there and hope it flies! Good luck to you too!

So it's been a couple of days and I've heard nothing, so I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and put it under leadership... If schools have an issue about it, I'd explain during interviews I guess, but it's not like we're totally making something up so they shouldn't.

It's like they heard me, here's their reply:

"Good morning,

Thank you for contacting CASPA, this email is in response to your recent inquiry. Although there is not a specific section to enter your Published article, you may enter it under an appropriate category in the Work and Volunteer section and/or mention the article in the Narrative section. Please attempt to abbreviate as best as possible if you are unable to fit the entire title of the article."

So I'm just going to go with my leadership plan :)

Archived