Time between residency and graduating

Hey y'all! Looking for advice on what to do. I graduate in August and was accepted into a critical care fellowship starting in October. I just found out that due to COVID, my start date has been pushed back to January. I know I'm lucky to have an offer, even one that starts later, given everything going on lately, but I'm feeling pretty bummed about having five months between graduating and starting a fellowship. Plus, I turned down other offers that would have started this fall for this program. Does it make sense to wait for the fellowship to start in January, or should I be looking for other jobs? If I do wait until January to start, what should I do in that time for money and maintenance of clinical knowledge? I'm really concerned about losing clinical knowledge, not to mention repaying my loans. Any advice helps! Thanks!

Depending on where you live it could take up to eight weeks post graduation to get your liscence. I'm fortunate from taking the PANCE to residency for me was less than 3 weeks and I still went back to doing some construction in the mean time. I don't think I'd sit on my hands for four months but finding employment for a short window may be tough

If you see yourself doing critical care then I wouldn't pass up this residency just because it was delayed. The residency will pay dividends so it's worth the wait. Find a part time job at a bar or part-time/per diem job at an urgent care - something that is easy to leave behind. You can maintain knowledge by reviewing your phys/pathophys notes if you want, or learn a new topic like vents, as a previous poster stated. But DO NOT PASS UP THE RESIDENCY.

• Like 1

Thank you to all who replied! Since posting, my graduation has been delayed by one month due to a lack of clinical sites. I had to reschedule the PANCE for the end of September because of this, and after talking to graduates in my state I think early-to-mid-November is when I can expect to be licensed. At that point, I'm only 1.5 months from starting my residency. I do plan to work- both for my sanity and my wallet- and I found an AAPA hospital medicine boot camp course that I can take online to prepare. In the end, I think this residency will be my best learning opportunity and a wise career choice, so I'll wait it out, and hopefully find an urgent care PRN job in the meantime. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 12:18 PM, ebpm2017 said:

At that point, I'm only 1.5 months from starting my residency. I do plan to work- both for my sanity and my wallet

I think it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible to find a UC per diem job, for only 6 weeks as a new grad. Its 6 weeks around the holidays, enjoy the break and relax! If you want to make some cash, do something non clinical, like bartending, uber, instacart, etc. Don't count on getting a clinical job for such a short time period as a new grad.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 9:46 AM, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Find another job, PA or otherwise. Remember, it’s business. A job wouldn’t hesitate to let you go after 6 months if it benefited them and you’ll make them far more money than they lose.

On a similar note: when interviewing for other new grad jobs and they ask, would you answer truthfully that you're applying to residencies? I feel like that would be a dealbreaker for the employer, knowing that you might leave the practice for a residency shortly after.

9 hours ago, leggopaschool said:

On a similar note: when interviewing for other new grad jobs and they ask, would you answer truthfully that you're applying to residencies? I feel like that would be a dealbreaker for the employer, knowing that you might leave the practice for a residency shortly after.

I honestly can’t imagine someone asking that, but I would say that “ I’m applying all over. I’m too risk averse to put all my eggs in one basket.”

would you leave if accepted to residency?

”not if you pay me enough.”

• Upvote 1