COVID 19 Impacts to Programs

My program shut down campus and is no longer allowed to have any in-person interactions. I'm currently a second year, about to finish up didactic in may so this won't impact my class as much (at least until rotations start) since we already had all our hands on physical assessment labs, skills labs, OSCEs, cadaver lab, ect. but the new class that started in January is really impacted by this. They cancelled their anatomy lab and physical assessment lab for the remainder of the term and skills lab may be impacted next term. As you probably know, these are a critical part of your education in PA school so it was be interesting (and stressful) to see how they improvise in those areas. My other friends in PA school from around the country have said there programs have taken the same measures. If you are in the application stage I would be prepared for future interviews to be postponed 😞

I’m a current clinical student and we are shutdown as well, with all students recalled from all their clinical rotations. My cohort and I are all concerned regarding any delays to our impending graduation date. (It was supposed to be later this summer. Unfortunately, we have no answers.

Anyone else with a 2020 grad date? How is your program dealing with the obvious delay? I’m hoping that if we can build a list of possible solutions, we can figure out how to get through this TOGETHER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting program in May.  Need to quit current position so that I can start and wondering if will start on time or be delayed.

Anyone know the effects of Chloroquine on COVID 19?  If you look at the stats, the countries that use malaria drug has low outbreaks where as the more advanced countries without Malaria are struggling.

Malaysia and South Korea leveled out vs Spain, UK, Italy, US...

4 hours ago, PA-Candidate said:

Starting program in May.  Need to quit current position so that I can start and wondering if will start on time or be delayed.

Anyone know the effects of Chloroquine on COVID 19?  If you look at the stats, the countries that use malaria drug has low outbreaks where as the more advanced countries without Malaria are struggling.

Malaysia and South Korea leveled out vs Spain, UK, Italy, US...

Don't trust media and social media, or our president for that matter. You can trust Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of Allergy and Infectious Disease at NIH. All Chloroquine hype is purely anecdotal, and it comes for a SINGLE, n=20 study in France. There is no evidence it works. As PAs, we practice evidence-based medicine, not anecdotal medicine. There is one patient in the US that self medicated with Chloroquine after hearing that the president hyped it up, and now he is dead. 

The more advanced countries are struggling because people are not used to limitation on their freedom and are not taking this seriously. It is NOT business as usual. 

Also, if I were you, still able to go to work, make money, safely, I would not quit. This is here to stay for a while and all PA programs are struggling to see how they will make this work. So far, everything is online. Thank the Universe we live in 2020 and we have the technology we do.

Edited by KrebsCycle
  • Like 3

My program just made our next rotation which starts tomorrow as a virtual rotation and our grad date is still the same so far.

We will be having weekly case study discussions, zoom lectures, and a program where we have a virtual patient and it grades us based on what is asked, physical exam, and treatment plan. 

It is what it is, because none of the hospital systems are taking students no matter what it is, and same has happened without outpatient/clinics.

Im curious... what is happening with everyone's electives? Given that elective surgeries/procedures are on hold. 

I'm finishing up my didactic year this semester, and we were slated to start our rotations in May 2020. With everything that is going on, our first two have been made into virtual rotations. I understand that this is the best thing that can be done with everything going on. However, this is being done at the expense of our elective rotations. My program has 10 total rotations, two for electives and three for primary care. My program is making our first two rotations count as our electives, and they're being done virtually. I was really hoping to do my electives in ortho surgery and IR, with hopes of working in either of these fields in the future. But I fear those prospects are gone now that I can't rotate in either field. I have no shame admitting that I have been crying non-stop about this since I got the news this evening. I've reached out to my program director to see if an elective can be preserved, possibly for spring of 2021. I was just curious to know how things are going for everyone else. 

• 2 weeks later...
Im curious... what is happening with everyone's electives? Given that elective surgeries/procedures are on hold. 
I'm finishing up my didactic year this semester, and we were slated to start our rotations in May 2020. With everything that is going on, our first two have been made into virtual rotations. I understand that this is the best thing that can be done with everything going on. However, this is being done at the expense of our elective rotations. My program has 10 total rotations, two for electives and three for primary care. My program is making our first two rotations count as our electives, and they're being done virtually. I was really hoping to do my electives in ortho surgery and IR, with hopes of working in either of these fields in the future. But I fear those prospects are gone now that I can't rotate in either field. I have no shame admitting that I have been crying non-stop about this since I got the news this evening. I've reached out to my program director to see if an elective can be preserved, possibly for spring of 2021. I was just curious to know how things are going for everyone else. 

If it makes you feel any better, I felt that way before any of this started. Only one of my 7 rotations was anywhere I wanted to bead compared to some of my classmates, who seemed to be exactly where they wanted to be the majority of the time. And to make it even worse, when I found myself in the rotation I really clicked with and loved....COVID.

What I learned from this is that you may not get the exact rotation you want, but each one will teach you a lot, and you may find something you didn’t know you loved. And the opportunities you want will still be there, regardless; you’re just going to possibly have to be more creative to get to them. It’s true, having a rotation with a great preceptor is the easiest, but it’s not the only way.

Our program is now delayed until July, with no plan for graduation. Sigh.

On 4/4/2020 at 11:05 AM, GradlessInSeattle said:

If it makes you feel any better, I felt that way before any of this started. Only one of my 7 rotations was anywhere I wanted to bead compared to some of my classmates, who seemed to be exactly where they wanted to be the majority of the time. And to make it even worse, when I found myself in the rotation I really clicked with and loved....COVID.

What I learned from this is that you may not get the exact rotation you want, but each one will teach you a lot, and you may find something you didn’t know you loved. And the opportunities you want will still be there, regardless; you’re just going to possibly have to be more creative to get to them. It’s true, having a rotation with a great preceptor is the easiest, but it’s not the only way.

On 4/4/2020 at 11:05 AM, GradlessInSeattle said:

When you say "delayed until July", what do you mean? Are you guys not doing anything until then? After this semester, my program is having us start with an online module to replace our first rotation. From what I gathered so far, only one of our rotations can be replaced with an online module. We are not certain that we will be able to start rotations in either June or July so our graduation is most likely delayed as well... It seems that our program is trying to find ways to "keep us going which is the only way they can get us financial aid". We still have to complete our surgery lab, but my concern at this point is that I don't want to keep paying for pointless learning that doesn't move us any closer to graduation. What is everyone else's program doing?