Leaving HCE job

I'm applying to PA school this cycle. I've been employed as a PCT for 6 months now at a hospital that's a 40-mile drive (80 round-trip). I've accumulated 600 hours here and have over 1,300 hours of direct HCE total. The problem is, although my job is at a well-respected hospital and I have lots of good patient interaction (ADLs, phlebotomy, EKGs, other labs, ect.), I don't feel like I'm getting anything out of it besides basic nursing stuff (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just becoming monotonous). It depresses me to the point where I get physically sick when I have to work. I don't enjoy working as a PCT; they're right when they say it takes a special someone to work as a nurse or nurse assistant. I love my coworkers and everything, but the job just isn't for me. I've been considering putting in my two weeks but I'm trying to stay a little longer to get a LOR from my floor director. I've looked for other jobs within the hospital and there's nothing I qualify for available. I don't mind the drive, but another thing is they're switching me to 12 hour shifts overnight and I can't do that while talking 18 credits.

I've also been a volunteer EMT for almost a year and that really isn't my thing either, although I like it a lot better than being a PCT. I've been looking for medical assistant jobs, and I've found a couple, but the hours don't work out with my classes (and school is my priority right now because my grades aren't the greatest).

Would it be bad to leave my HCE job for another job that I actually enjoy, even if it's not getting direct patient contact? Also, would it be wrong to leave then ask for a LOR? My director already knows I'm really not feeling my current job, and she was very understanding and said although it's not my thing, I'm a good PCT.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm applying to PA school this cycle. I've been employed as a PCT for 6 months now at a hospital that's a 40-mile drive (80 round-trip). I've accumulated 600 hours here and have over 1,300 hours of direct HCE total. The problem is, although my job is at a well-respected hospital and I have lots of good patient interaction (ADLs, phlebotomy, EKGs, other labs, ect.), I don't feel like I'm getting anything out of it besides basic nursing stuff (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just becoming monotonous). It depresses me to the point where I get physically sick when I have to work. I don't enjoy working as a PCT; they're right when they say it takes a special someone to work as a nurse or nurse assistant. I love my coworkers and everything, but the job just isn't for me. I've been considering putting in my two weeks but I'm trying to stay a little longer to get a LOR from my floor director. I've looked for other jobs within the hospital and there's nothing I qualify for available. I don't mind the drive, but another thing is they're switching me to 12 hour shifts overnight and I can't do that while talking 18 credits.

I've also been a volunteer EMT for almost a year and that really isn't my thing either, although I like it a lot better than being a PCT. I've been looking for medical assistant jobs, and I've found a couple, but the hours don't work out with my classes (and school is my priority right now because my grades aren't the greatest).

Would it be bad to leave my HCE job for another job that I actually enjoy, even if it's not getting direct patient contact? Also, would it be wrong to leave then ask for a LOR? My director already knows I'm really not feeling my current job, and she was very understanding and said although it's not my thing, I'm a good PCT.

It's really too bad that you didn't just submit your two weeks notice, professionally, with the comment that your school obligations would prevent your continued employment but that you appreciated the opportunities the hospital had provided you.

I think that now no matter what you do about quitting your boss will know it's because you don't like your job. You're crazy if you think she won't remember that when you ask for a letter of recommendation. From your post it kind of sounds like you made a fuss about being unhappy, definitely to the point where people noticed your lack of interest and motivation. Not the best note to leave on.

It's really too bad that you didn't just submit your two weeks notice, professionally, with the comment that your school obligations would prevent your continued employment but that you appreciated the opportunities the hospital had provided you.

I think that now no matter what you do about quitting your boss will know it's because you don't like your job. You're crazy if you think she won't remember that when you ask for a letter of recommendation. From your post it kind of sounds like you made a fuss about being unhappy, definitely to the point where people noticed your lack of interest and motivation. Not the best note to leave on.

If you don't like your PCT job and it's only been 6 months (which is what I am doing right now also) and you don't like EMT either, are you sure that trying to become a PA is right for you?

I've shadowed a PA for six months and I really enjoyed the experience. Being a PCT is very different than being a PA. Just because I don't like working as a PCT doesn't mean I'd dislike working as a PA.

"... definitely to the point where people noticed your lack of interest and motivation."

Although I am lacking interest, I'm certainly not lacking any motivation. And I didn't leave the job as of yet. I was simply considering putting in my two weeks. I come to work 30 minutes early each shift and usually leave an hour after my shift is supposed to end. I always help out others on the floor throughout my shift, every shift, despite having all of my own duties to do (unlike other techs that just up and disappear, ignoring their call bells). My coworkers always compliment me on how hard I work. It's not that I'm lazy and can't handle the work, it's that it's just not my thing. I opened up to my boss about it to try to figure out other options, which she was very open about because many techs choose to do something else after they finish the hospital training program for it, but there were no other positions available that worked with my schedule or that I qualified for.

If you don't like your PCT job and it's only been 6 months (which is what I am doing right now also) and you don't like EMT either, are you sure that trying to become a PA is right for you?

I've shadowed a PA for six months and I really enjoyed the experience. Being a PCT is very different than being a PA. Just because I don't like working as a PCT doesn't mean I'd dislike working as a PA.

"... definitely to the point where people noticed your lack of interest and motivation."

Although I am lacking interest, I'm certainly not lacking any motivation. And I didn't leave the job as of yet. I was simply considering putting in my two weeks. I come to work 30 minutes early each shift and usually leave an hour after my shift is supposed to end. I always help out others on the floor throughout my shift, every shift, despite having all of my own duties to do (unlike other techs that just up and disappear, ignoring their call bells). My coworkers always compliment me on how hard I work. It's not that I'm lazy and can't handle the work, it's that it's just not my thing. I opened up to my boss about it to try to figure out other options, which she was very open about because many techs choose to do something else after they finish the hospital training program for it, but there were no other positions available that worked with my schedule or that I qualified for.

Shadowing is a -completely. Different. Ballgame.

What will you like as a PA? Doing all the dirty work that the doctors don't want to do? Working all the shifts that the doctors don't want to work? I think you really need to evaluate what it is you're going to like about patient care. Do you feel that once you're in a practitioner role you'll snap out of not enjoying working with patients? Becoming a PA is a very hefty investment for somebody with just 1,300 hours of HCE that hated every second of it. You say "they're right when they say it takes a special someone to work as a nurse or nurse assistant." Well, it also takes a special someone to work as a PA...Am I being a little harsh? Probably...but I'd hate for you to take a spot over someone else in a PA program just to regret it later and move on to something else because you didn't like it.

What will you like as a PA? Doing all the dirty work that the doctors don't want to do? Working all the shifts that the doctors don't want to work? I think you really need to evaluate what it is you're going to like about patient care. Do you feel that once you're in a practitioner role you'll snap out of not enjoying working with patients? Becoming a PA is a very hefty investment for somebody with just 1,300 hours of HCE that hated every second of it. You say "they're right when they say it takes a special someone to work as a nurse or nurse assistant." Well, it also takes a special someone to work as a PA...Am I being a little harsh? Probably...but I'd hate for you to take a spot over someone else in a PA program just to regret it later and move on to something else because you didn't like it.

Why is it that you don't enjoy working as a PCT? Is it because you don't like the tasks that you have to do?

I can say that I work with patients I don't get to do 1/2 of the things that you're able to do (although I have an EMT certification and I will be looking at internal job listings @ my hospital once I have 'done my time'), but I completely enjoy my job - what I do at work has a direct, and positive impact on the delivery of care for the patients and that is what I'M ALL ABOUT.

Regardless of your position/title, autonomy, salary, responsibilities...etc (even if you're an MD) - you should enjoy working with patients or you don't belong in this business...

And the reason I bring this up is because it doesn't seem to be about the patients for you... So I'm not saying that you aren't a hard worker but I think you should give some real consideration to what drives your motivation to work with patients (regardless of the setting).

To your comment about you 'not feeling like you're getting anything out of it' - it's time to move on.

To your comment about 'feeling depressed to the point where you feel physically sick when you go to work' - that's just really sad, if you aren't happy with what you're doing then that much is obvious.

Why is it that you don't enjoy working as a PCT? Is it because you don't like the tasks that you have to do?

I can say that I work with patients I don't get to do 1/2 of the things that you're able to do (although I have an EMT certification and I will be looking at internal job listings @ my hospital once I have 'done my time'), but I completely enjoy my job - what I do at work has a direct, and positive impact on the delivery of care for the patients and that is what I'M ALL ABOUT.

Regardless of your position/title, autonomy, salary, responsibilities...etc (even if you're an MD) - you should enjoy working with patients or you don't belong in this business...

And the reason I bring this up is because it doesn't seem to be about the patients for you... So I'm not saying that you aren't a hard worker but I think you should give some real consideration to what drives your motivation to work with patients (regardless of the setting).

To your comment about you 'not feeling like you're getting anything out of it' - it's time to move on.

To your comment about 'feeling depressed to the point where you feel physically sick when you go to work' - that's just really sad, if you aren't happy with what you're doing then that much is obvious.

Here's my 2 cents. I've been a CNA for some time now and will be starting PA school in the fall. Ya a CNA isn't the most glamorous job, wiping butts isn't fun, the pay isn't the greatest and to tell you the truth I don't really like being a CNA either. However, I love interacting with patients and I learn something new everyday working with them. Being a CNA is what you make of it, you can be miserable because you hate your job or you can make the best of it. The more healthcare experience you have behind you before you start PA school will be a major benefit to you, even if it is a just CNA experience. Being able to interact with different types of people will benefit you as a future PA. Each patient you care for presents a unique case, a case you can learn from and apply to future experiences as a healthcare provider. Now you need to figure out why you don't like your job. If you don't enjoy working with patients now, what is going to make you think you will like interacting with them as a PA. You also need to shadow more than 1 PA because 1 PA doesn't define what the rest of the PAs out there do on a daily basis.

Here's my 2 cents. I've been a CNA for some time now and will be starting PA school in the fall. Ya a CNA isn't the most glamorous job, wiping butts isn't fun, the pay isn't the greatest and to tell you the truth I don't really like being a CNA either. However, I love interacting with patients and I learn something new everyday working with them. Being a CNA is what you make of it, you can be miserable because you hate your job or you can make the best of it. The more healthcare experience you have behind you before you start PA school will be a major benefit to you, even if it is a just CNA experience. Being able to interact with different types of people will benefit you as a future PA. Each patient you care for presents a unique case, a case you can learn from and apply to future experiences as a healthcare provider. Now you need to figure out why you don't like your job. If you don't enjoy working with patients now, what is going to make you think you will like interacting with them as a PA. You also need to shadow more than 1 PA because 1 PA doesn't define what the rest of the PAs out there do on a daily basis.

*sigh* really? Feeling sick when you have to go to work? You may want to re-evaluate your career choice. Sure I hate cleaning **** from patients too, especially those chronic drunkards who are wasting everyone's time and money, but I put on my big girl panties, grab some toothpaste and put it between two face masks, and do it. Then I forget all about it the moment I leave the room. You may feel like a nurses' b*tch but if you had a great attitude and a smile on your face as you're wiping that ***, your opinions would change as well - if you really want to be a PA. Same goes for "basic nurses stuff," which is a ridiculous statement because drawing blood and doing EKG's is super fun!

IMO, you are meant to be in medicine if you can see yourself having ANY medical career. Could I be ER tech forever? -Sure! EMT on the field? - HELL YES! Nurse? -Yea I'd be a nurse if nothing else works out. RT? -Yea sounds amazing! Doctor? -Yea ok. PA? - BRING IT ON!

P.S. every single one pre-PA student on this forum would LOVE to FINALLY get that job. Please re-evaluate what it is you want to do.

*sigh* really? Feeling sick when you have to go to work? You may want to re-evaluate your career choice. Sure I hate cleaning **** from patients too, especially those chronic drunkards who are wasting everyone's time and money, but I put on my big girl panties, grab some toothpaste and put it between two face masks, and do it. Then I forget all about it the moment I leave the room. You may feel like a nurses' b*tch but if you had a great attitude and a smile on your face as you're wiping that ***, your opinions would change as well - if you really want to be a PA. Same goes for "basic nurses stuff," which is a ridiculous statement because drawing blood and doing EKG's is super fun!

IMO, you are meant to be in medicine if you can see yourself having ANY medical career. Could I be ER tech forever? -Sure! EMT on the field? - HELL YES! Nurse? -Yea I'd be a nurse if nothing else works out. RT? -Yea sounds amazing! Doctor? -Yea ok. PA? - BRING IT ON!

P.S. every single one pre-PA student on this forum would LOVE to FINALLY get that job. Please re-evaluate what it is you want to do.

Archived