Leaving HCE job

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe look into ER tech jobs if one comes along? I trained as a PCT for a week before starting my ER tech job and I can definitely understand the monotony of being a PCT. I still enjoyed it, however, but looking back I'm very glad I was able to land the ER tech position. There's a helluva lot more variety in the ER as you would imagine and no two days are the same so perhaps it would better fit you.

I'm also a volly EMT and I can understand that it's not as glamorous as people think it is since the majority of the time we're just glorified taxi drivers, but I do still enjoy it overall. Is it not your thing because of the relatively low volume of "good calls" or do you genuinely not like these jobs because of the patient contact? If it's the latter I'm going to echo people here and suggest that maybe PA isn't your thing. Of course, it is completely possible to enjoy being a PA and not enjoy being a PCT, ERT, EMT, etc...but I wouldn't put my money on it.

Regardless of what you should or shouldn't pursue, I do think you should keep your job. If your grades aren't the best you're going to need as much HCE as possible to offset your noncompetitive GPA; and if PA is what you truly want then you should stick it out as a PCT until you either a.) get into PA school or b.) find a job that better suits you and your schedule.

Good luck.

Maybe look into ER tech jobs if one comes along? I trained as a PCT for a week before starting my ER tech job and I can definitely understand the monotony of being a PCT. I still enjoyed it, however, but looking back I'm very glad I was able to land the ER tech position. There's a helluva lot more variety in the ER as you would imagine and no two days are the same so perhaps it would better fit you.

I'm also a volly EMT and I can understand that it's not as glamorous as people think it is since the majority of the time we're just glorified taxi drivers, but I do still enjoy it overall. Is it not your thing because of the relatively low volume of "good calls" or do you genuinely not like these jobs because of the patient contact? If it's the latter I'm going to echo people here and suggest that maybe PA isn't your thing. Of course, it is completely possible to enjoy being a PA and not enjoy being a PCT, ERT, EMT, etc...but I wouldn't put my money on it.

Regardless of what you should or shouldn't pursue, I do think you should keep your job. If your grades aren't the best you're going to need as much HCE as possible to offset your noncompetitive GPA; and if PA is what you truly want then you should stick it out as a PCT until you either a.) get into PA school or b.) find a job that better suits you and your schedule.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input everyone, even the bad stuff. It's not that I dislike "dealing with patients", I actually enjoy that aspect, even if I am just cleaning up bowel movements all night. That doesn't bother me at all. My patients are generally very appreciative of me and I love that satisfaction of knowing I'm helping another person during a difficult time in their life. And as for the nurses, they're very helpful and always are out to help teach me things. The job was advertised as a more "technical" thing, but I rarely get to do anything technical. I do blood draws maybe every three shifts, EKGs sometimes, etc. I find myself more doing patient comfort, helping patients ambulate, helping patients with hygiene. That's all good in itself because it's all a learning process, but I just feel let down. I thought I would be getting a lot more skills out of it. I've definitely learned a lot from this job, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

I'll look into ER Tech jobs, but they're hard to come by around where I live (very rural). They rarely hire them at my hospital because all of the veteran PCTs get the open jobs before the newbies.

I know I'm at a standstill otherwise, because I'd need an associate's degree in anything else to get a more technical job.

For now, I'll keep plugging along. They're switching my shift to overnights next month so I'll be able to do more blood draws at least.

Thanks for your input everyone, even the bad stuff. It's not that I dislike "dealing with patients", I actually enjoy that aspect, even if I am just cleaning up bowel movements all night. That doesn't bother me at all. My patients are generally very appreciative of me and I love that satisfaction of knowing I'm helping another person during a difficult time in their life. And as for the nurses, they're very helpful and always are out to help teach me things. The job was advertised as a more "technical" thing, but I rarely get to do anything technical. I do blood draws maybe every three shifts, EKGs sometimes, etc. I find myself more doing patient comfort, helping patients ambulate, helping patients with hygiene. That's all good in itself because it's all a learning process, but I just feel let down. I thought I would be getting a lot more skills out of it. I've definitely learned a lot from this job, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

I'll look into ER Tech jobs, but they're hard to come by around where I live (very rural). They rarely hire them at my hospital because all of the veteran PCTs get the open jobs before the newbies.

I know I'm at a standstill otherwise, because I'd need an associate's degree in anything else to get a more technical job.

For now, I'll keep plugging along. They're switching my shift to overnights next month so I'll be able to do more blood draws at least.

If you've done ten blood draws you've done a million. The only glamorous thing about drawing blood is learning a new skill. And my advice to you would be to take it upon yourself to learn one new thing each shift. Not liking your job is one thing, but not seeing the gold mine of education that is at your disposal with working at a hospital is a real shame.

If you've done ten blood draws you've done a million. The only glamorous thing about drawing blood is learning a new skill. And my advice to you would be to take it upon yourself to learn one new thing each shift. Not liking your job is one thing, but not seeing the gold mine of education that is at your disposal with working at a hospital is a real shame.

I recently attended the AAPA conference in Canada. One of the underlying themes is the need for PAs to step up into the roles of administration and leadership. One of the reasons PA programs were pushed to Masters level was the effort to create a work force who isn't afraid of a keyboard once in awhile and will step up to be leaders in advancing the profession.

Along that vein of thought, would it interest you to form some sort of training program for other PCTs who may be less than challenged in their work routine as well? Perhaps the care facility you work at wouldn't mind having a voice from the trenches when they set policy or form training guidelines etc etc etc.

My thought being you could be an advocate for yourself, your fellow PCTs, display leadership qualities, show initiative, learn some of the office politics of a care facility, and not be bored on the job. If I was an AdCom and saw a PS float across my desk with that sort of story? I'd jump all over it like fleas on a hound.

I recently attended the AAPA conference in Canada. One of the underlying themes is the need for PAs to step up into the roles of administration and leadership. One of the reasons PA programs were pushed to Masters level was the effort to create a work force who isn't afraid of a keyboard once in awhile and will step up to be leaders in advancing the profession.

Along that vein of thought, would it interest you to form some sort of training program for other PCTs who may be less than challenged in their work routine as well? Perhaps the care facility you work at wouldn't mind having a voice from the trenches when they set policy or form training guidelines etc etc etc.

My thought being you could be an advocate for yourself, your fellow PCTs, display leadership qualities, show initiative, learn some of the office politics of a care facility, and not be bored on the job. If I was an AdCom and saw a PS float across my desk with that sort of story? I'd jump all over it like fleas on a hound.

@ Just Steve - There's actually a couple of girls I work with that said that same things as me; that we're just not challenged enough. One of them used to work in the military, and she got to assist in surgeries and other procedures. She saw this job, got really excited, and after a while was really let down about the lack of skills (or lack of skills in this case) she's using. I know there's only so much we can do due regarding technical skills, but it would be worth it to talk to my director and see if they could add a little more skills to the program, just to keep it stimulating. Another great idea, thank you very much.

@ Just Steve - There's actually a couple of girls I work with that said that same things as me; that we're just not challenged enough. One of them used to work in the military, and she got to assist in surgeries and other procedures. She saw this job, got really excited, and after a while was really let down about the lack of skills (or lack of skills in this case) she's using. I know there's only so much we can do due regarding technical skills, but it would be worth it to talk to my director and see if they could add a little more skills to the program, just to keep it stimulating. Another great idea, thank you very much.

Archived