Leaving HCE job

@ Just Steve - There's actually a couple of girls I work with that said that same things as me; that we're just not challenged enough. One of them used to work in the military, and she got to assist in surgeries and other procedures. She saw this job, got really excited, and after a while was really let down about the lack of skills (or lack of skills in this case) she's using. I know there's only so much we can do due regarding technical skills, but it would be worth it to talk to my director and see if they could add a little more skills to the program, just to keep it stimulating. Another great idea, thank you very much.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to throw out there and build on what mktalon recommended is I'm always looking at various tests and almost every time I'm looking at an X-ray or CT the doctor will come over and ask me what I see. Then they explain what to look for. We usually end up talking about the pathophysiology that is occurring and the different mechanisms / classes of drugs / procedures used to treat these conditions. I have the computer at my disposal and afterwards I'll lookup what we spoke about, print it out and then study it when I get home. I try to at least bring home 1 disease and 1 drug because it can be overwhelming if you tried to tackle them all at once. I try to stay away from the zebra's because those cases are rare (like one patient came to the ER & would get seizures when she had her menstral period something triggered by estrogen). It's helped me take a limited scope of practice position into being paid to learn. Another note is when I see any type if procedure taking place big or small I go in the room to lend a hand and this simple act has exponentially increased my medical knowledge and experience. Make the best of what you have. Your perception is your reality... Just need to look at your scenario differently and turn it into an opportunity.

I have a 12 lead EKG national license and a phlebotomy license and don't get to use them. I don't let that discourage me because my ultimate goal is to be prepared when I get into a PA program rather than do the tasks which most of it you will be interpreting the results rather than performing those tasks. Chin up and seize the moment.

Something to throw out there and build on what mktalon recommended is I'm always looking at various tests and almost every time I'm looking at an X-ray or CT the doctor will come over and ask me what I see. Then they explain what to look for. We usually end up talking about the pathophysiology that is occurring and the different mechanisms / classes of drugs / procedures used to treat these conditions. I have the computer at my disposal and afterwards I'll lookup what we spoke about, print it out and then study it when I get home. I try to at least bring home 1 disease and 1 drug because it can be overwhelming if you tried to tackle them all at once. I try to stay away from the zebra's because those cases are rare (like one patient came to the ER & would get seizures when she had her menstral period something triggered by estrogen). It's helped me take a limited scope of practice position into being paid to learn. Another note is when I see any type if procedure taking place big or small I go in the room to lend a hand and this simple act has exponentially increased my medical knowledge and experience. Make the best of what you have. Your perception is your reality... Just need to look at your scenario differently and turn it into an opportunity.

I have a 12 lead EKG national license and a phlebotomy license and don't get to use them. I don't let that discourage me because my ultimate goal is to be prepared when I get into a PA program rather than do the tasks which most of it you will be interpreting the results rather than performing those tasks. Chin up and seize the moment.

@ Just Steve - There's actually a couple of girls I work with that said that same things as me; that we're just not challenged enough. One of them used to work in the military, and she got to assist in surgeries and other procedures. She saw this job, got really excited, and after a while was really let down about the lack of skills (or lack of skills in this case) she's using. I know there's only so much we can do due regarding technical skills, but it would be worth it to talk to my director and see if they could add a little more skills to the program, just to keep it stimulating. Another great idea, thank you very much.

Just be careful in your approach. There are reasons for your limited scope that you might not be aware of. Good or bad, the nursing union is protective of what portions of their scope they are willing to delegate. It is to protect nurses from getting down staffed and replacing them with lower paid but trained aids.

Just be careful in your approach. There are reasons for your limited scope that you might not be aware of. Good or bad, the nursing union is protective of what portions of their scope they are willing to delegate. It is to protect nurses from getting down staffed and replacing them with lower paid but trained aids.

One of them used to work in the military, and she got to assist in surgeries and other procedures. She saw this job, got really excited, and after a while was really let down about the lack of skills (or lack of skills in this case) she's using.
I know how that feels...In CA as an MA I feel guilty even looking at a suture kit or IV set (both of which were second nature in the military)...Its really a shame how much veterans get handcuffed upon transition to the civilian populace. Desiring to do more is good on you. I think we can all agree with that.

One of them used to work in the military, and she got to assist in surgeries and other procedures. She saw this job, got really excited, and after a while was really let down about the lack of skills (or lack of skills in this case) she's using.
I know how that feels...In CA as an MA I feel guilty even looking at a suture kit or IV set (both of which were second nature in the military)...Its really a shame how much veterans get handcuffed upon transition to the civilian populace. Desiring to do more is good on you. I think we can all agree with that.

I'll throw something out. I'm a medic, and I like it. I became one because I was once asked what will I do if I don't get into PA school. The result has been that I have a job I like, about 10,000hrs of HCE, I'm a better candidate and if I don't get in I won't hate my life. RT is there, ADN is there. Just saying.

I'll throw something out. I'm a medic, and I like it. I became one because I was once asked what will I do if I don't get into PA school. The result has been that I have a job I like, about 10,000hrs of HCE, I'm a better candidate and if I don't get in I won't hate my life. RT is there, ADN is there. Just saying.

Archived