316/340 GRE score. Is this a good score for top 10 PA schools?

So, I just finished taking the GRE today. Little disappointed in my quantitative score. Let's just say I got a quantitative score in the range of 152-155 and verbal score in the range of 162-165. With a cumulative score of 316, does this score help strengthen my application at all? My science GPA is on the lower end, but my post-bacc GPA is a 4.0 in the sciences. I am hoping that this 316 score can help make up for my low science GPA from my science degree. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

No advice re: schools, but just wanted to give you props. I took the GRE today too (scored a little higher than you on verbal and a little lower in quant, but I'll take it as math is a huge struggle for me) and am now sipping a beer and decompressing. That test broke my brain...anyway, good job! Hopefully others can speak to how your scores shape up for your application.

I had a lower end cGPA/sGPA in undergrad over a decade ago, but had a 4.0 post bacc as well (in the last 3 years). I am starting my program in 4 weeks. It can be done!!! Don't give up!!!! I can say this, however.... you will need a great deal of HCE to compensate for the lower undergrad GPA. Good luck!!!

Good job to you as well nebula. I went out and had a few beers myself. That test was pretty brutal. On my practice GREs, I was all over the place on quantitative scoring anywhere from a 151 to a 163. For you guys asking about the percentiles, my quant score would be around a 70% and verbal would be 91-93%. I have a science GPA of 3.1-3.2 ish, but an overall GPA of 3.5 because I double majored. Since graduating though, I have got all A's and several A+'s in the science classes that I have taken for PA school. I have over 2000+ hours of direct patient contact volunteering experience as a medical assistant. I have also worked as an ER scribe for several months including other volunteer work at a nursing home.

My recommendation to you is to look through the stat pages for those accepted. People usually post their stats there so you can see what scores and grade are trending in acceptances to particular schools. I will repost mine below but wanted to make a few comments first. First of all, it is my experience that PA schools don't focus on just one aspect of the application (grades vs gre scores vs HCE) they look at the applicant as a whole. Awesome scores wont negate low grades but certainly cant hurt esp if in the long run there is only one seat available and it is between you or someone else with comparable other stats. With that being said, when I was applying and interviewing it seemed to me that schools look for the minimum score (last year when I was applying although I took the old version and the new version of the GRE, the scoring system was still on the old version so the schools were pretty much looking for the minimum 1000 and 40%). Schools also focus on percentile not the actual score. Furthermore, just to show that GRE scores are not the focal point of the application, I can tell you I was offered an interview for a school AND ACCEPTED prior to the school receiving my GRE scores for the new test. (It is important to mention however that I have a masters degree, and had my old scores that were expired and recent scores that I bombed). I say all of this just to show you (and you can see from my stats) that schools really do look at a combination of factors in deciding on applicants. Your score is great, but if you want to be competitive, try to get your Science GPA up (I think that is the most important stat if I had to choose just one) and focus on writing a killer personal statement. Also, apply to a range of schools...you never know what exactly a school is looking for....hope this helps!!!

Applicant stats--Undergrad Ed School: Florida State University, BS Criminal Justice and Sociology

Masters Ed School: University of Texas-Austin, MS Social Work

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.33 (I had 161 credit hours for undergrad classes and 206 total hours undergrad/grad....so my 4.0 post grad school science classes didnt improve my overall cumulative gpa all that much)

Cumulative Graduate GPA: 3.40

Post Bacc Graduate GPA: 4.0

Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.77

Age at application time : 29

GRE: 1010 (in 2004 prior to grad school unfortunately this score did not exist with ETS however one school accepted this score from my old transcripts)

GRE: (first time according to ETS score reports as my old score was expired): 980 (Second time): about a 1280 (this time was scored using their new scoring method)

Direct Patient Care : about 8500 hours as a licensed clinical social worker for the trauma team and neurosurgery team

-100 hours OR shadow

-25 hours research on secondary trauma on first responders

Schools Applied: Nova (all 4), Barry, Emory, Duke, Wake Forest, James Madison, UF, UTSW, Baylor, ATStill, Midwestern

Application Submitted Date: Submitted 8/14/2011 Verified by Caspa 9/12/2011

Schools Received Application Date: Applications sent in 9/12 mailing and Supplemental apps submitted between Sept-Nov

Interview Invites: Nova-Ft. Lauderdale, Midwestern, Duke, Emory, James Madison, Barry

Denied: UF, UTSW, Baylor, ATStill (closed their application cycle early so I was not considered)

Withdrew Application: James Madison, Emory, Nova- Jax, Ft. Meyers

Never heard back from: Nova-Orlando

Waitlisted: None

Accepted: Nova-Ft. Lauderdale, Duke, Midwestern

Attending: DUKE UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!

Attempts: First

I took the GRE yesterday for the first time. It was pretty darn brutal! I didn't like my scores (147 verbal 149 quant) even though I got more than the minimum requirement for the schools I'm applying to. I do however have a 3.7 gpa so I hope that gets taken into consideration more than the GRE (which I don't see the relevance of it to PA school).

I took the GRE yesterday for the first time. It was pretty darn brutal! I didn't like my scores (147 verbal 149 quant) even though I got more than the minimum requirement for the schools I'm applying to. I do however have a 3.7 gpa so I hope that gets taken into consideration more than the GRE (which I don't see the relevance of it to PA school).

I studied out of Gruber's and Kaplan Prep for GRE. Kaplan has a few practice tests online. I also looked at the ETS book and the one prep test that they provide. If you dedicate a certain amount of time for a good two weeks, you should have the tools needed to pull off a decent score. Good luck julieth!

I studied out of Gruber's and Kaplan Prep for GRE. Kaplan has a few practice tests online. I also looked at the ETS book and the one prep test that they provide. If you dedicate a certain amount of time for a good two weeks, you should have the tools needed to pull off a decent score. Good luck julieth!

Archived