Discouraged

Guest pa321

Hey Everyone 

I applied to about 15 schools this 2019-2020 cycle and have been straight out rejected from 9 of them. I have about 6 schools left to hear back from and so far it is not looking so good. One of the schools have interviewed and accepted students that submitted a month after I did. Another school replied to my inquiry stating that they believe interviews are over for the incoming class. And lastly one other school has requested I re-take a pre-requisite to be considered. I currently work as a Heme/Onc scribe - 4000 hours as of today, 150 hours shadowing a PA, 152 hours volunteering at a Rehab PT, and about 250 hours of general community service. 

My gpa going in was low, I am not going to hide that. I had a 3.31 overall and 3.01 science. I had planned to wait a year to retake any prereqs but applied anyways due to familial pressure. I now realize that I should have waited. I registered to take the pre-req requested from the program stated above but now feel like I should retake 2 higher level course (microbiology and organic) where I got C's. The tiniest part of me is hoping that maybe I will hear something positive from the few schools I have left but at the same time I don't know. The rejections I received really killed me mentally and now I feel more discouraged than ever. 

I just wanted to put this out there in case someone else can relate. Thanks. 

I applied the first time to 13 schools and got ZERO invites! I had a 3.1 GPA for both science and cumulative. I took some post-bacc classes got A's and got my averages in to the 3.2 range, as well as continuing to get more hours.

The following year I applied to 11 programs and got 6 invites including UF which was a reach school for me. I was able to get an acceptance on my 2nd interview at my dream program by October and was able to cancel the rest of my interviews.

Keep improving your GPA, and keep accruing hours. 

My first cycle really hit me hard and made me question if I was even on the right path, but at the same time I knew my GPA wasn't the best and had a feeling that I was probably in the boat of having to apply multiple cycles before I would get an acceptance. Also, I made sure to totally revamp and improve my application, from the letters of rec, personal statement, more volunteering, and improvement of my GPA the 2nd time around.

PS- Now I am less than 8 months away from graduation. 

Edited by JD2012
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 4:25 PM, pa321 said:

Hey Everyone 

I applied to about 15 schools this 2019-2020 cycle and have been straight out rejected from 9 of them. I have about 6 schools left to hear back from and so far it is not looking so good. One of the schools have interviewed and accepted students that submitted a month after I did. Another school replied to my inquiry stating that they believe interviews are over for the incoming class. And lastly one other school has requested I re-take a pre-requisite to be considered. I currently work as a Heme/Onc scribe - 4000 hours as of today, 150 hours shadowing a PA, 152 hours volunteering at a Rehab PT, and about 250 hours of general community service. 

My gpa going in was low, I am not going to hide that. I had a 3.31 overall and 3.01 science. I had planned to wait a year to retake any prereqs but applied anyways due to familial pressure. I now realize that I should have waited. I registered to take the pre-req requested from the program stated above but now feel like I should retake 2 higher level course (microbiology and organic) where I got C's. The tiniest part of me is hoping that maybe I will hear something positive from the few schools I have left but at the same time I don't know. The rejections I received really killed me mentally and now I feel more discouraged than ever. 

I just wanted to put this out there in case someone else can relate. Thanks. 

Do not give up! Which schools did you apply to? There are stories of people who get in with lower GPAs than what you have. It really depends on the school and historically what they have been seen to accept or allow. Was your GRE score good? Who wrote your letters of rec? Your hours look good! 

Lots of people don't get in their first time around. Don't put yourself down. You may get an interview closer to the actual interview dates. Lots of my classmates were offered interviews 1-2 weeks prior to the actual interview. It's natural to think the worst in stressful situations. just relax, enjoy life. If you don't get in this round, work on that sGPA and reapply next cycle.

I was a little down on myself the first year that I was rejected but then I got stubborn. You really have to sit down with yourself for an honest conversation about why you did not make the cut. It seems to me like you already know what the right thing to do is and I am inclined to agree with you. Your C's are holding you back, a C in PA school is a failing grade in most programs that I have heard about.

Just an FYI, you can not replace grades in CASPA. They will average out all of your science grades no matter how many times you take the course. However, you can select which course you will use for your prerequisite grades, so you can select micro and orgo with an A over the same courses with a C.

On 1/27/2020 at 10:34 AM, MedIsLifePA said:

Do not give up! Which schools did you apply to? There are stories of people who get in with lower GPAs than what you have. It really depends on the school and historically what they have been seen to accept or allow. Was your GRE score good? Who wrote your letters of rec? Your hours look good! 

Hello!

I did not need to take the GRE for the schools I applied to. And my letters are from the physician I scribe for, the pa I shadowed, my supervisor and my pharmacology professor. 

On 2/1/2020 at 3:06 PM, DomRRTtoPA said:

I was a little down on myself the first year that I was rejected but then I got stubborn. You really have to sit down with yourself for an honest conversation about why you did not make the cut. It seems to me like you already know what the right thing to do is and I am inclined to agree with you. Your C's are holding you back, a C in PA school is a failing grade in most programs that I have heard about.

Just an FYI, you can not replace grades in CASPA. They will average out all of your science grades no matter how many times you take the course. However, you can select which course you will use for your prerequisite grades, so you can select micro and orgo with an A over the same courses with a C.

I am retaking the courses now after having a conversation about where I messed up. Most schools specify that they will use their pre req gpa as a tool to sort to applicants so hopefully getting As (fingers crossed) in those courses I can bring the gpa up.