Words we are

Guest Paula

Interesting article. It would take me quite a while to get used to changing my medical terminology to "health" terminology. Is this subterfuge?

Guest JMPA

Most of this article i do not agree with. For example: request to replace order. Orders are not to denied without ramification. If one was to replace it with request it seems more open to interpretation for one to follow. How would that apply legally in a court of law. "I refused an order" vs. "I refused a request"

Terminology is more of a reflection of how we think than vice versa. I have no problem assuming that a patient is telling me the truth and isn't "admitting" his PMH to me. But why would we try to revolutionize the way we think by changing the words we use? That is the definition of being "politically correct." You think one way, but behave another. Rather, don't think about your patients in a confrontational way, don't think of yourself as a half-trained or inferior provider, don't think of things in harmful ways and your thinking will be borne out in your speech patterns. And for the record, we practice medicine, not health. So I will stick to medical terminology, thank you very much. The nurse practitioners that I work with feel the same way - if they're not practicing solid medical fundamentals, they don't belong in that exam room. So they'll stick with their medical terms, too.

Andrew

wow three to 4 pages of verbage and words that seem to say we just need to pay attention to words. Brings up a good point about what we call ourselves, but just seems redundant and simplistic in it's approach - love to see the NP taking up the "doctor" battle..... they will win this battle as there are so many other "doctors" in the health care world that are not MD/DO

think PT's, OT's, NP's, Eye Doc's, PhD counselors, an even NP's - doctor is a description of the terminal degree and is no longer "reserved" for MD/DO

I always introduce my self as PA Kellogg, yet better then 30% of patients refer to me as Dr Kellogg - no matter how many times I correct them...... it seems they place their trust us....

wow three to 4 pages of verbage and words that seem to say we just need to pay attention to words. Brings up a good point about what we call ourselves, but just seems redundant and simplistic in it's approach - love to see the NP taking up the "doctor" battle..... they will win this battle as there are so many other "doctors" in the health care world that are not MD/DO

think PT's, OT's, NP's, Eye Doc's, PhD counselors, an even NP's - doctor is a description of the terminal degree and is no longer "reserved" for MD/DO

I always introduce my self as PA Kellogg, yet better then 30% of patients refer to me as Dr Kellogg - no matter how many times I correct them...... it seems they place their trust us....

To be called "Dr. Kellogg" by many of your patients despite telling them to refer you as "PA Kellogg" is not only a compliment, but a testament to your positive work.

To be called "Dr. Kellogg" by many of your patients despite telling them to refer you as "PA Kellogg" is not only a compliment, but a testament to your positive work.

Archived