Name Change Advice

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on name changes. I wanted to know people's experiences with practicing under their maiden name but changing their name legally? I will be graduating PA school soon and want to keep my maiden name on my license etc but have my name changed legally. Can anyone share their advice or experiences with this?

Thanks!! 

I can't give any advice about the process or anything, but you should absolutely check your state's rule/regulations as it may be against rules/regulations to continue to have your maiden name on your PA and pharmacy licenses after you have changed your name.  I would assume (but could certainly be wrong) that it's the same as your driver's license and other forms of ID that you are expected to update once your name is changed.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, mgriffiths said:

I can't give any advice about the process or anything, but you should absolutely check your state's rule/regulations as it may be against rules/regulations to continue to have your maiden name on your PA and pharmacy licenses after you have changed your name.  I would assume (but could certainly be wrong) that it's the same as your driver's license and other forms of ID that you are expected to update once your name is changed.

I'm not aware of any state where this is the case.  Do you know of one where this sort of thing is still on the books?

On 1/11/2020 at 12:16 PM, rev ronin said:

I'm not aware of any state where this is the case.  Do you know of one where this sort of thing is still on the books?

I do not know of anything specific regarding PA and pharmacy licenses, just an assumption (as I stated).  But, I do know that in the state of Michigan it is required by law to update your address on your driver's license when you move and if you don't your license can be suspended (don't know the deadline).  Again, I don't know if it's the same with a name change, but I would actually expect a name change to be more important than an address change, and if true for a driver's license I would expect it to be true for a PA/pharmacy license.  But again, just an assumption OP (and anyone else) should confirm with their state's licensing board.