Medical Assistant or ED Tech?

Can't speak as to a MA, but worked as an ED Tech (w/ EMS license) for my PCE.

What you'll get out of being a tech depends on the scope of practice your hospital provides. In mine, they had us placing lines/applying splints/running EKG's etc. I found it more beneficial than trying to be a MA or scribe because over time I worked with multiple docs who saw that I was reliable and they were willing to share extra bits of knowledge. I'm sure others can tell you about what benefits being an MA had for them, but in the end I'm still biased towards EMS/ED work as giving a better PCE exposure.

I haven't seen any schools that specifically state they prefer a particular type of PCE, but it's implicitly there. One of my program's faculty members stated that they like to admit applicants with scribing experience b/c of their own personal experiences with scribes.

Hi there! I might be able to shed some light from an MA point of view. I am working as a MA to get my hours. I absolutely love being an MA. I did have to get my certification for it, which took a year after I graduated, but I have found the experience incredible. 

Each state has a differing scope on what an MA can do. In CA, we give injections, administer medication, vitals, ECGs, spirometry and desat studies, assist in procedures, and preform CLIA waived tests. Speciality dictates a lot of what testing and exposure you get. What I have found to be beneficial is my relationship with the physicians I work with. I primarily work with one, but cover as needed for others in my practice. In my office, they take the time to show me CT scans, PET scans, X-Rays, and invite me to see procedures/round with them if time allows. My primary physician is invested in my future and has being instrumental for support and knowledge going into the next years. Also in my office,  clinical MAs will do prior auths for medications and some procedures, which exposes you to some administrative work as well and have helped me learn common ICD 10 codes and CTP codes.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, it's more of what you'd like and where you think you'll thrive. You want to set yourself up for success and start gaining hours ASAP.

I worked as an MA in a small family medicine practice and a larger orthopedics practice prior to starting school without certification, and I found it all to be valuable experience. In primary care, we answered the phones, checked patients in and out, called with test results, did prior authorizations, processed referrals, roomed patients, took vitals, performed tests/collected samples (EKGs, urinalysis, H. pylori breath tests, spirometry, glucose and INR finger sticks, etc), drew blood, administered injections, etc. I would say I learned a great deal about medications from this experience that has helped me in school. In orthopedics, we roomed patients, gathered and recorded complete medical histories and HPIs, sent patients for appropriate x-rays in-office, set up for injections, assisted with casting, removed staples/sutures and casts, input physical exams and coding in the EMR, etc. For me, this experience was really helpful in learning to take a relatively thorough and efficient medical history and HPI. From what I've seen personally, ED techs have similar duties with drawing blood, placing splints, cleaning wounds, etc. I was under the impression the most valuable experience is one where you get as much hands-on experience as possible and demonstrate development of critical thinking. 

• Like 1