from a school where 50% or less of graduates go to college

In the personal data section of CASPA there is a box you can choose to check that says"I am from a school district where 50% or less of graduates go to college or where college education is not encouraged." I suspect this is true where I went to school but I'm not sure how to verify it.

Wikipedia doesn't have the data. Does anyone know where I can find this statistic?

Check your high school district web page, for starts. If they don't have a decent page, call them. They're required to publish certain statistics about the schools inside the district. IIRC, one of the stats is the number of grads from each class that have declared their intention of pursuing higher ed.

Most educationally disadvantaged students (I was one) go to schools that have most of the characteristics that are listed there for the schools. (i.e. my high school had a low graduating class percentage, very low number of kids who went to college (only 30 kids took the SAT's), and over 50% of the kids received free or reduced lunch. If you were educationally disadvantaged you will know it.... also fwiw I don't know that it really matters from an application standpoint. No one asked me about it...

Archived